Newly updated as of August 1st, 2022
Welcome to the Norterra Canyon home page for athletics. As the 22-23 school year progresses, this page will be updated…and in most cases you’ll probably be able to go to individual pages for each sport.
This page is primarily a sports overview regarding information that is relevant to most sports, and focuses on some big changes for the 22-23 sports year.
This year, we are in a new sports division referred to as 1A, and we share this division with 6 other schools…Sunset Ridge, Union Park, Paseo Hills, Canyon Springs, Anthem, and Desert Mountain.
The other big change this year is the order of the sports during the year.
Baseball and softball are now our Fall sports (tryouts will be approx. the week of Aug. 22nd), Winter sports will be volleyball and cross country (tryouts will be approx. the week of Oct. 31st), and Spring sports will be basketball and cheer (tryouts will be approx. the week of Jan. 30th)
Although there is the potential for a few minor changes later in the year, our coaching lineup is very likely to look like this:
Baseball : Ron Roach
Softball : Wes Harder
Boys Volleyball : Travis Johnson
Girls Volleyball : Seanna Mondino and Beth Baker
Cross Country : Nora Davidson and John Leckliter
Cheer : Stacy Mahoney
Girls Basketball : Tony Cosmano
Boys Basketball : Travis Johnson
- Practices are typically every Mon – Thur from 3:10 to 4:45 (except for game days of course).
- All 6th, 7th, and 8th graders are eligible for all 8 sports.
- All 5th graders are eligible for the no-cut sport of cross country, and all 5th grade girls are eligible to try out for cheer.
- Games will usually start around 4:30.
- For now, all away games will most likely be parent drop-off…since bus transportation to most after school activities has become very hard to schedule.
- Your athlete can bring an individual post-school snack, but the cafeteria may be planning on providing post-school snacks for athletes. There also often parents of players who will offer to provide snacks for certain individual sporting events.
- Most schools (including Norterra Canyon) will charge a small $2-$3 fee to attend their indoor sports, like volleyball and basketball.
- Grades are checked weekly by the Athletic Office to ensure academic eligibility.
- Student-Athletes who do not meet eligibility requirements by the end of the week (Friday @ 3pm) are disqualified from all inter-school competition for the following week
- Parents are encouraged to track their child’s academic progress
- If a physical and/or athletic fee is still missing once the season officially starts, the student will have to forego game participation.
Some rules for speaking with coaches…
- Coaches have 24 hours to process the results of a game and then initiate communication with their players (DVUSD policy)
- Please consider how you interact with a coach outside of the campus footprint (common courtesy).
As with any sport, students need to have a current physical on file in order to tryout.