Welcome to the MRHS Pride of the West!
About the Program
Our program is known collectively as the “Pride of the West” and currently includes over 200 students. Our mission is “excellence everywhere.” We believe strongly in the development of our individual student musicians through concert, marching, jazz, and chamber music. Performance opportunities for our students include three large concert bands, string orchestra, marching band, two winterguards, two jazz bands, and multiple chamber ensembles including several woodwind, brass and percussion ensembles, flute choir, clarinet choir, saxophone orchestra, trumpet ensemble, horn choir, trombone choir, and tuba euphonium ensemble.
Our ensembles have consistently received Superior and Superior with Distinction honors and Area and State Concert Festivals. Featured performances include the 2021 Midwest Clinic with our Saxophone Quartet, the 2014 Midwest Clinic with our Woodwind Choir and Saxophone Orchestra, as a Featured Band at the 2023 and 2019 Music for All National Concert Band Festival, and 11 times at the Arizona Music Educators Association Conference. The Band is a five-time recipient of the Arizona Band and Orchestra Director’s "William E. Richardson Program of Distinction Award,” recognizing superior achievement in all areas of the Band program.
All Band students participate in our Marching Band, which has consistently qualified for the ABODA State Marching Band Championships and concluded the 2022 competitive season as the ABODA Division 1 Arizona State Marching Band Champions, the AzMBA State Champions in Class 4A, and the Bands of America Arizona Regional Champion in Class 4A. Our Marching Band previously won the State Championship in 2019, was a 2007 Tournament of Roses Parade participant, represented Arizona at the 56th Presidential Inaugural Parade for President Obama, performed at the 2015 NFL Super Bowl XLIX, and represented the USS Arizona at the 70th and 75th Anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor in Hawaii. Our Varsity Winter Guard is a seven-time WGAZ State Champion and were Semi-Finalists in Scholastic Open Class at the 2019 WGI World Championships.
Our students have had numerous individual achievements at the State and National Level including student representation in the Music For All Honor Band of America, the National Association for Music Education All-National Concert Band, and the U.S. Army All-American Marching Band.
Our program has developed several means of relaying important information to students and parents. Each of the following are important links between the Director, staff, students, and parents. Please make a note of each of our communication lines to stay in the loop.
- Slack: Slack is the app the Band uses to share information, post announcements, post videos of performances and choreography, and direct message individuals and small groups. The most reliable way to contact Mr. Vogel is through Slack
- The Band Office: Call or email the Band Office with questions for Mr. Vogel
- The Band Website: www.mrhsband.net Please take a few minutes to visit the Band website. It has a ton of information about the Band!
- Charms: www.charmsoffice.com The Charms site is packed with information designed specifically to help keep students and parents up to date with all of the many Band activities, post announcements and schedules, and financial information. Make the Charms site your first stop for information about the Band and check it often - it is updated regularly! New students should e-mail email@example.com to be set up. login: mountainridgeband
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Email has proven to be one of the most effective methods of communication for the Band program. During the school year, we will send out a weekly email update of announcements (The Fanfare!), information about events, schedules, and/or other news. Please help me get important information to you by ensuring that we have accurate, up-to-date email addresses for students and parents. Additions/corrections should be sent to email@example.com.
- The Fanfare!: The Fanfare! is a weekly announcement bulletin posted in Canvas, and sent to current students and families via email. If you are not receiving it in your email in-box, contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Most often, the Fanfare! will serve to remind students and parents about upcoming performances, meetings, and announcements, or will direct you to the Band website for further information. A couple of minutes to read through the Fanfare! on the part of students AND parents will go miles towards keeping everyone informed about all of the great activity within the Band program.
- “Mountain Ridge Bands” page on Facebook: Social media sites, such as Facebook, have become a powerful communication tool, even for school organizations. The MRHS Band has a page on Facebook. Click the link on the Band homepage and “Like” us on Facebook!
- Follow us on Twitter “@mrhsbandsaz”: The Mountain Ridge Band is on Twitter! Follow us “at MRHS Bands AZ”
- Band Student / Parent Meetings: These meetings are specifically designed for the students and parents. You will hear the plans for upcoming events, what our needs are, and how we plan to meet those needs. This is also where I will address the “business” of running a Band program, go through the expectations of the program, procedures and information, and answering questions.
- Pride of the West 101: This is for new parents to the MRHS Band/Guard, and to parents who have been in the program but would like to learn more. This ‘class’ will be for anyone to come and learn about how the program works and what to expect. We will cover things such as: Why do we fundraise? What happens at competitions? Who do I contact? etc.
- Band-Aides Monthly Meetings: These are monthly meeting for all parents to discuss this month’s updates, calendar, and business. Attending the monthly meetings are one of the best ways for parents to stay involved, participate in discussion, have their opinions heard, see old friends, and meet new ones. It takes a village to make the Band successful! Every parent who is able should plan on serving. Without volunteers, nothing is possible, but with you everything is possible and it’s fun to be around the students!
- Office Hours: By appointment. Please email Mr. Vogel to schedule an appointment.
Course Syllabus: Available here
Band Forms are available on the Band Website: www.mrhsband.net/forms
Powerschool: Powerschool (Attendance and Grades)Canvas: Canvas (Learning Management System)