October is Bully Prevention Month
Are you being bullied? Do you see bullying at your school? There are things you can do to keep yourself and the kids you know safe from bullying.
Treat Everyone with Respect
Nobody should be mean to others.
· Stop and think before you say or do something that could hurt someone.
· If you feel like being mean to someone, find something else to do. Play a game, watch TV, or talk to a friend.
· Talk to an adult you trust. They can help you find ways to be nicer to others.
· Keep in mind that everyone is different. Not better or worse. Just different.
· If you think you have bullied someone in the past, apologize. Everyone feels better.
What to Do If You’re Bullied
There are things you can do if you are being bullied:
· Look at the kid bullying you and tell him or her to stop in a calm, clear voice. You can also try to laugh it off. This works best if joking is easy for you. It could catch the kid bullying you off guard.
· If speaking up seems too hard or not safe, walk away and stay away. Don’t fight back. Find an adult to stop the bullying on the spot.
There are things you can do to stay safe in the future, too.
· Talk to an adult you trust. Don’t keep your feelings inside. Telling someone can help you feel less alone. They can help you make a plan to stop the bullying.
· Stay away from places where bullying happens.
· Stay near adults and other kids. Most bullying happens when adults aren’t