Dual Enrollment Registration InformationA few registration updates!
Having issues with registration? This PDF may help ensure you are getting through all the required steps, it also has screen shots that show how to add a class: Rio Registration Tips and Hints
- Some students are not receiving the confirmation email that they have successfully been admitted and can register! You may want to go in to your my.maricopa.edu account and see if you are able to register! If you have a hold on your account, then you are either missing something OR things just haven't processed yet!
- We had set an original registration due date for August 18th, but that was a soft deadline! We still have plenty of time! Please just be sure you are in process! Rio is back logged and they are taking longer than 3-5 days processing some elements!
- Be sure that your parents did their part with the financial responsibility consent email, be sure you uploaded your ID if that was required, and be sure that if you were new to Rio that you comleted the actual first step of that admission process! It is easy to skip over! Even if you have your MEID and 8 digit student ID number, you still need to go through that part!
- Most importantly, be patient! I know it is frustrating! But hang in there!
Have any dual enrollment questions?Check this out: Dual Enrollment Frequently Asked QuestionsIf you have lingering questions or concerns, email me and I will do my best to get you the info you need: firstname.lastname@example.orgOther helpful sites:Electronic Copy of: Rio Salado Dual Enrollment Registration FlyerRio Registration Info w/my Notes (same document as above - but it has some helpful notes on it!)Ready to begin registration? Start here: http://www.riosalado.edu/programs/dual/getstarted/Pages/default.aspxA few registration hints:
Rio Salado's Dual Enrollment Main PageRio Salado Credit Transfer Information: http://www.riosalado.edu/advisement/university-transfer/Pages/default.aspxLink to Rio Payment Options: http://www.riosalado.edu/cashier/Pages/options.aspxMy.Maricopa: Once you are a registered this is going to be a very important link for you! This is where you can access your account, review payments, see what you owe, order transcripts --- all things Rio! Remember you will need your MEID for this! http://my.maricopa.edu/Not sure how to use my.maricopa? Here is a power point to help you: How to Use My Maricopa
- Everything will be online! You won't be turning in hard copies of anything!
- Only register for the fall semester! You will register for spring later on!
- If you are a new student and you need to submit ID for the admissions process, you will be able to do that online!
- Note that students must begin the registration process, and then a parent will receive an email regarding financial responsiblity. A parent/guardian will then need to follow the directions within the email. Once the parent has done this it could take 3-5 days for the processing. Once processing has been completed, students can log in to their student center (my.maricopa.edu) to pay immediately!
- Do note that you need to take care of payment once processing has occurred! students will be dropped every Monday afternoon for nonpayment. You can re-enroll in the student center, but avoid this by paying at the time of enrollment!
- Be certain you are ONLY enrolling using the proper course section number for your class period! If you don't know what this is - please see your dual teacher!
- Please be registered and paid for your course by August 18th, 2017!
- If needed, you can still set up a payment plan within your student center!
- If you have any questions, just ask! :)
Need your MEID to create your eCashier account?
First, log onto the dual page located at http://www.riosalado.edu/programs/dual/Pages/default.aspx
Then, click on My Maricopa (located on the left hand side of the page)
You can go through the MEID wizard to get your MEID, but to get through the process it does require that you enter your social security number!If you have questions, just ask!
Need to take the WritePlacer?Important Info for you here:
First. what is the WritePlacer and what is expected of you on this test?
Score needed to enroll: 5 or above
Students are given a passage to read and a question about the passage. They are directed to plan and write a multi-paragraph essay (300-600 words) in which they develop their point of view on the question given. They must support their position with reasoning and examples taken from their reading, studies, experiences, or observations. This test measures a student’s ability to write effectively, which is critical to academic success. The writing sample will be scored on the basis of how effectively it communicates a whole message to the readers for the stated purpose. The score is based on the student’s ability to express, organize, and support their opinions and ideas, not the position they take on the essay topic. The following five characteristics of writing will be considered:
· Focus—The clarity with which the student maintains their main idea or point of view
· Organization—The clarity with which the student structures their response and presents a logical sequence of ideas
· Development and Support—The extent to which the student elaborates on their ideas and the extent to which they present supporting details
· Sentence Structure—The effectiveness of the student’s sentence structure
· Mechanical Conventions—The extent to which the student’s writing is free of errors in usage and mechanics
Below is a an important link that walks you through the expectations in detail! It provides test instructions for the students, sample prompts, and sample student essays with scores and explanations for the scores! I highly encourage you to go through and review this!
Keep in mind that although a score of 5 is what you need to pass, here are the descriptors of what an essay should include to receive the highest score, which is an 8:
An essay that receives a score of 8 demonstrates clear and consistent mastery of on-demand essay writing with a few minor errors. A typical essay with this score:
• Effectively and insightfully develops a point of view on the issue.
• Addresses an appropriate audience and demonstrates a clear purpose for writing in the thesis statement.
• Demonstrates outstanding critical thinking, using effective examples, reasons, and other evidence to support its position.
• Is well organized and clearly focused, demonstrating clear coherence and smooth progression of ideas.
• Exhibits skillful use of language, using a varied, accurate, and apt vocabulary.
• Demonstrates varied and effective sentence structure.
• Is free of major errors in grammar, spelling and punctuation.