*Wednesday, Aug. 7th
1. Retrieve the following handouts from the back 101/102 tray: Attitude, Dual Enrollment Policy with Video Permission Form on the back, Rio Registration Flier, Fall Vocab., and Canvas Policy with Week-by-Week on the back (5 handouts total).
2. View 101 Day 1 slide show in Canvas - Resources module. Ask another student what to highlight on the Dual Enrollment Policy form. Please ask if you have any questions regarding the handouts of slide show.
*Thursday, Aug. 8th
1. Access 2019 Welcome ENG 101 Full slide show in Canvas - Resources module (for Day 2 only, see slides 12-31 - we discussed 1-11 yesterday in class). :)
2. Ask another student or Mrs. Bondi regarding what to highlight on the Canvas Policy handout; once you have read and highlighted this handout make sure you go in to Canvas, Resources module, access the Canvas Policy Agreement Assignment, complete it ("I have read this"), and submit! +10
3. Retrieve purple Graduation Form in back 101/102 tray; get it signed and turn it in to the front make-up tray upon your return.
4. Reminder: Canvas Policy Agreement Assign. is due tomorrow/Friday by 7:30 AM to Canvas, signed Dual Enrollment/Video Permission form is due tomorrow in class, and rememer to enroll & pay for this class online!
*Friday, Aug. 9th
1. Turn in signed purple Graduation Form & Dual Enrollment/Video Permission form to the front make-up tray upon your return to class (Per. 2 - turn in any Aca Prep forms as well).
2. We played a Vocab. Game - Lesson 1; students received points for participating. If absent today, you will be excused from the activitiy. Remember to look over Lesson 1 words!
3. Reminder: Show & Tell Symbolic Object & 6 Word Memoir are due on Monday (object in class & memoir emailed by 7:30 AM).
*Monday, Aug. 12th
1. Think of someone who has inspired you; we will do an activity regarding this on Thursday, 8/15. :)
2. Reminder: Enroll & pay for ENG 101! We will have a Rio representative on campus this Thursday; you may go during class if you are experiencing difficulty.
3. To make up points for Show & Tell/Symbolic Object Activity, email Mrs. Bondi regarding what your symbolic object is AND explain why that symbolizes you.
4. Access Humans of Glendale slide show in Canvas - Description module. Ask if you have any questions regarding this assignment.
*Tuesday, Aug. 13th
1. Reminders: Think of someone who has inspired you; we will do an activity with this on Thursday. Also, enroll and pay for this class! You may visit our Rio representative during class this Thursday if you are experiencing difficulty.
2. Make an appointment with Mrs. Bondi upon your return to make up the ENG 101 Writing Diagnostic. +20
3. We looked at some student samples of 6 Word Memoirs from both class periods; points are entered in PS. :)
*Wednesday, Aug. 14th
1. Access Predrafting Practice slide show in Canvas - The Basics module. In your notes (electronic or hard copy), write and label all 7 strategies of Predrafting (include a shortened definition of each), and complete the practice for those strategies that include a shortened practice. SHOW MRS. BONDI YOUR DEFINITIONS AND PRACTICE upon your return to class to receive your points. +10
2. Remember to come in tomorrow with a person's name who has inspired you; what did he/she do to inspire you? Activity regarding this tomorrow! Also, you may meet with our Rio rep. during the second part of class if you are experiencing difficulty registering/paying for Rio.
*Thursday, Aug. 15th
1. Please access Mom Letter in Canvas - Resources module; this is the letter I wrote and shared with my mother before she passed. One of our Rio Competencies is to organize writing to support a central idea through unity, coherence, and logical development appropriate to a specific writing context. Today students did this and wrote a letter to someone who had inspired them. Please bring your letter to class upon your return, and we can discuss next steps. :) +15
*Friday, Aug. 16th
1. Access The Basics Notes Day 1 slide show in Canvas - The Basics module. Take notes on the examples (where the "take notes" picture is). Click on "SNL" on slide 15 to view the skit. Make sure to follow instructions on slide 16 for two of your five general topics. We will continue The Basics on Monday!
*Monday, Aug. 19th
1. We reviewed The Basics Notes Day 1 - General, Less General, Limited Subject, Purpose, Audience, Tone, Point of View, and Thesis. Make sure you know these - Quiz on Wednesday! Also, make sure you are enrolled and pay for this class! Help Desk number is 480-517-8080, and our Rio rep. will be here this Thursday.
2. Please access Day 2 Back to Basics slide show in Canvas - The Basics module. Please complete your homework based on the instructions in the slide show. As stated, bring your typed, hard copy of your homework to class upon your return.
*Tuesday, Aug. 20th
1. Review the following: General, Less General, & Limited Subjects, as well as TTAPP using your posted Basics Notes (Days 1 & 2). Quiz over this information is tomorrow!
2. Access posted Microtheme Scoring Thesis Notes slide show in Canvas - The Basics module. On the hard copy of yesterday's homework, score your homework based on the slide show. Turn in your completed tasks and score out of 47 on your homework in the front make-up tray upon your return to class. +47
3. The last three slides in the above slide show are notes about Thesis Statements; please write down these notes on a hard copy; you will receive points for writing these notes down. We will continue discussing Thesis Statements tomorrow.
*Wednesday, Aug. 21st
1. Make an appointment with Mrs. Bondi upon your return to class to make up Basics Quiz. +14
2. Access posted Three Tasks slide show in Canvas - The Basics module. Complete these three tasks, under your Thesis Notes from yesterday; make sure someone "signs off"/initials that you have done each task correctly. You will be turning these notes in tomorrow!
3. Draw a line under these three tasks, and label your notes "Summarizing, Paraphrasing, & Quoting." Access any skit via YouTube, etc., view the skit, and write a summary of it. We will discuss this summary, along with paraphrasing and quoting tomorrow.
*Thursday, Aug. 22nd
1. We reviewed the Basics Quiz from yesterday; please schedule a time with Mrs. Bondi if you would like to go over the answers.
2. Access Summarizing, Paraphrasing, Quoting Day 1 slide show posted in Canvas - The Basics module. Complete the activities in this slide show, and take notes on the slides that have a paper/pencil picture. You will turn in these notes tomorrow!
*Friday, Aug. 23rd
1. Access posted Summarizing, Paraphrasing, & Quoting Day 2 slide show in Canvas - The Basics module. Turn in your Notes to the front make-up tray upon your return to class with all three tasks, summary, and paraphrased quote for points! +15
2. Reminder: your article based on one of the three prompts is due in class on Monday, 8/26 (see posted Prompts for Article in Canvas - The Basics module).
3. Access posted Ellipses, Interpolation, sic slide show in Canvas - The Basics module. Make sure you know ALL of this information! Ask if you have any questions!
*Monday, Aug. 26th
1. Access posted Putting it Together Practice slide in Canvas - The Basics module. Complete 1-12 on a piece of notebook paper based on the article you chose from one of the three prompts; you will scan and submit this assignment tomorrow AFTER your partner activity. Bring in completed assignment tomorrow for class.
2. Access posted Skills Assessment Reading Kaling in Canvas - The Basics module. Read this in preparation of Skills Assessment this Wednesday.
*Tuesday, Aug. 27th
1. Access posted Peer Review Putting it all Together handout in Canvas - The Basics module. Go through the questions on this handout and answer them according to your Putting it Together Individual Practice Assignment. Enter your scores/yes answers in Canvas - Putting it Together Scores during Peer Check AND make any corrections on your individual assignment. After you have submitted your scores, scan and submit your Practice Assignment to Canvas - Putting it Together Individual Practice. +20
2. Reminder: Read Kaling's excerpt posted in Canvas - The Basics module in anticipation of Skills Assessment tomorrow.
*Wednesday, Aug. 28th
1. Make an appointment with Mrs. Bondi upon your return to class to make up Skills Assessment. +40
2. Reminder: Humans of Glendale pictures are due Thursday, 9/5!
*Thursday, Aug. 29th
1. Retrieve Power Verbs half sheet from back 101 tray (or print posted copy in Canvas - Resources module). Ask another student or Mrs. Bondi what verbs to highlight/add to this list to avoid "says, states, & shows."
2. We reviewed the Humans of Glendale assignment that is due Thursday, 9/5! These instructions are posted in Canvas - Description module (Humans of Glendale slide show).
3. Access posted Day 1 Intro. to Description slide show in Canvas - Description module. Take notes on slides, and complete 1-4 as instructed. You will turn this in when we complete 5-14 tomorrow! +20
*Friday, Aug. 30th
1. Access posted Day 2 Intro. to Description slide show in Canvas - Description module. Complete 3-14, and turn in hard copy of Notes & 1-14 on Tuesday, 9/3 for points!
*Tuesday, Sept. 3rd
1. Turn in Intro. to Description Practice 1-14 to the front make-up tray upon your return to class. +20
2. Access posted Big Fish Day 1 Make-up Assign. slide in Canvas - Description module. To complete the assignment, access posted Day 1 Big Fish slide show in Canvas - Description module. You will use your own movie to complete sentences 1-7; typed, hard copy is due tomorrow in class in preparation of Day 2 Big Fish!
*Wednesday, Sept. 4th
1. Retrieve AzMERIT Report from Mrs. Bondi upon your return to class.
2. Reminder: Humans of Glendale pictures are due tomorrow to Canvas by 7:30 AM! +20 Also, great job on Skills Assessment; scores are in PS!
3. Access posted Big Fish Day 2 slide show in Canvas - Description module. Complete 1-4 on slide 8 on your own paper instead of switching papers with your Mt. Lion partner, and then complete the work on slide 9. Turn assignment in to the front make-up tray upon your return to class. +26
4. Access posted So You Thought slide show in Canvas - Description module. Complete the Prewriting ONLY (1-6), and have it ready for class tomorrow!
*Thursday, Sept. 5th
1. Access posted My Year with Eleanor Novel Summary slide in Canvas - Description module. You will be reading and analyzing Ch. 2 of this novel.
2. Retrieve Ch. 2 Zone Analysis from back ENG 101 tray (or access posted copy in Canvas - Description module). Complete this assignment, scan it, and turn it in to Canvas. +24
3. Access posted So You Thought slide show in Canvas - Description module. Using your prewriting from Wednesday (slides 1-5), read slides 6-15 of this slide show (they contain an example and the assignment instructions). This assignment is due to Canvas on Monday, 9/9, by 7:30 AM (student sample in class if you would like to view it).
4. Students had work time to complete Ch. 2 Zone Analysis.
*Friday, Sept. 6th
1. We discussed Noelle Hancock's Communal Relevance in Chapt. 2 of her novel in anticipation of today's Master Class activity.
2. Access posted Master Class slide show in Canvas - Description module. Click on the link on the bottom of the first slide, and click "View more Oprah's Master Class" to access 5 different short videos (you may choose anyone). Access Canvas - Quizzes - Communal Relevance, and enter the information based on the 5 people you chose to view; indicate which person you are referring to for the first question (words/ideas/images that stood out). Complete all 16 questions based on your 5 people, and submit! +16
3. Reminder: So You Thought Assign. is due to Canvas by 7:30 AM on Monday, 9/9!
*Monday, Sept. 9th
1. Retrieve the following three handouts from the back 102 tray: ENG 101 Data Tracking Sheet (also posted in Canvas - Resources module), Rio Rubric (also posted in Canvas - Resources module), and Going Beyond Prewriting (also posted in Cavas - Description module).
2. Review the ENG 101 Data Tracking sheet, and on the back of this handout highlight the writing goal out of the eight provided that you want to focus on this semester. In the space below, explain why you want this to be your writing goal for this semester. Show Mrs. Bondi this (highlighted goal and explanation) for points! +5
3. Ask Mrs. Bondi or another student what to add and highlight on the Rio Rubric.
4. Access posted 2019 The Descriptive Essay slide show in Canvas - Description module. We discussed slides 1-25; make sure you understand all of this information (ask Mrs. Bondi if you have any questions). We will finish going over this slide show tomorrow in class.
*Tuesday, Sept. 10th
1. Great job with So You Thought Assign. - student sample excerpts shared in class! :)
2. Students reviewed the following information with table partners: What does the title page have on it? (2 things besides header) What do you do in your Intro. Paragraph? What is the last sentences in your Intro. Paragraph? How many sentences are your Intro. & Concluding Paragraphs? What do you do in your Body Paragraph?What do you do in your conclusion (no “I” statements)! How many vocab. words? How many similes? Metaphors? Personification or onomatopoeia? Copula? How do we label these requirements? Make sure you can answer these questions! Everything is posted in Canvas - The Descriptive Essay slide show!
3. Access posted The Descriptive Essay slide show in Canvas - Description module. Everything you need for your essay is in this slide show! Please ask if you have any questions regarding this slide show! TTAPP Approvals begin tomorrow!
*Wednesday, Sept. 11th
1. Please retrieve graded materials from Mrs. Bondi upon your return to class.
2. I shared my journal from 9/11/01, and encouraged students to record their thoughts/capture moments to process and reflect throughout life. :)
3. TTAPP Approvals - due tomorrow by the end of the period (or email me today). Reminder: TTAPP must be in the correct order: Purpose (to describe - insert moment here), Audience - think of whom you want that communal relevance message to go to, Tone - an emotion, Point of View - 1st person and Someone who (insert communal relevance here), and Thesis (must be descriptive and hint at moment and communal relevance).
*Thursday, Sept. 12th
1. See Mrs. Bondi if you would like the QR code to nominate for Homecoming. :)
2. Renaissance Cord list is posted on the back bulletin board!
3. Email your TTAPP to Mrs. Bondi today if you did not get it approved in class (or get it approved during class tomorrow/Friday).
4. Work time to get TTAPP approved and/or work on both Prewriting assignments; also, LOTS of sample papers on front table to view!
*Friday, Sept. 13th
1. Email your TTAPP to Mrs. Bondi today if you did not get it approved in class.
2. Work time for Prewriting assignments and Rough Draft with ALL REQUIREMENTS (8 vocab., 1 simile, 1 metaphor, 1 personification or onomatopoeia, & 5 or fewer copula w/ Color Key). Rough Draft is due to Canvas by 7:30 AM on Tues., 9/17 AND typed, hard copy in class! Prewriting Assignments are also due in class this day!
*Monday, Sept. 16th
1. Reminder: Prewriting is due tomorrow (#1 & 2) in class!
2. Work day - Prewriting and Rough Draft with ALL REQUIREMENTS! Rough Draft is now due Wed., 9/18 to Canvas by 7:30 AM AND a typed, hard copy in class!
3. Per. 1 - Bring in books for Educators Rising Book Drive!
*Tuesday, Sept. 17th
1. Turn in Prewriting (both) to the front make-up tray upon your return - Going Beyond Prewriting +18/Rio Predrafting +15.
2. We reviewed the following for tomorrow's Round 1 Rough Draft: Hard copy – typed, double spaced, 10-12 point academic font AND submitted to Canvas/turnitin by 7:30 AM with Highlighting & Color Key – highlighting “test.” Title page with header, image, quote (single spaced), & author. MLA header (2), heading, title – see sample format in slide show! 1 simile, 1 metaphor, 1 personification OR onomatopoeia, 8 vocab. from fall list, no more than 5 copula. Again, highlight minimum requirements & provide a color key! Essay = Intro. (hook, narrow, thesis) – 6-8 sentences, Body with snapshot moment = 10-12 sentences, Conclusion with communal relevance = 6-8 sentences.
3. Work time to complete Rough Draft!
*Wednesday, Sept. 18th
1. IF you submitted your Rough Draft to Canvas by 7:30 this morning, access posted Descriptive Essay Round 1 Edit slide show in Canvas - Description module. Go through this slide show and record your points for each aspect of your Round 1 Rough Draft on the posted Peer Check Sheet (posted in Canvas - Description module) OR you may retrieve the Round 1 Peer Check in the back ENG 101 tray. Turn in your completed Round 1 Rough Draft Peer Check to Mrs. Bondi to receive your points. +55 You may NOT receive points for your Round 1 Rough Draft if you did not submit to Canvas on time this morning.
2. Ask Mrs. Bondi to stamp your Round 1 Rough Draft hard copy.
3. Complete the Self Edit in the Descriptive Essay Round 1 Edit slide show; you will turn this in on Monday, 9/23 and will receive points for your self-editing!
*Thursday, Sept. 19th
1. Access posted Round 2 Rough Draft slide show in Canvas - Description module. Give your revised essay to a person of your choice, and have him/her complete the directions in the slide show. Have that person include his/her name on this revised rough draf/Round 2; you will turn this Peer Edited Round 2 Rough Draft in on Monday, 9/23 with the Peer Editor's comments. +25
2. Access posted Pop Culture Interview slide show in Canvas - Process Analysis module. Follow the instructions on the slide show; this is due in class on Friday, 9/27!
3. You will have time in class tomorrow to work on your Final Descriptive Essay (due Monday, 9/23 to Canvas by 7:30 AM), or if finished, to work on the Pop Culture Interview.
*Friday, Sept. 20th
1. Work time to Peer Edit, Self Edit, or work on Pop Culture Interview.
2. Final Descriptive Essay is due to Canvas by 7:30 AM on Mon., 9/23! Also, edited Rough Drafts for Rounds 1 & 2 and Approved TTAPP are due in class on Monday, 9/23!
*Monday, Sept. 23rd
1. Turn in Approved TTAPP (+10), Round 1 Rough Draft (+15 for Self-Edit), and Round 2 Rough Draft (+25 for your Peer Editor) to the front make-up tray upon your return.
2. Read Stephen King's "Guide to Movie Snacks" posted in Canvas - Process Analysis module - by class time on Wed., 9/25, for an activity.
3. We reviewed the Pop Culture Interview Assign. that is due in class this Friday, 9/27. I also gave students an example for my essay "How to Buy the Perfect Prom Dress" - My Question for Pop Culture Interview in ENG 101 would have been: What do you think is essential in buying the perfect prom dress? Yes, it’s to give you ideas! Students also shared what they liked/were good at to generate possible essay topics for Process Analysis Paper.
4. We played a game "So, can you draw this?" in class to get students thinking of what is important in a Process Analysis Essay. To receive points for this activity, email Mrs. Bondi with something that would make a "How to" article easy to understand, and something that would make a "How to" article difficult to understand. +5
*Tuesday, Sept. 24th
1. Reminders: Read King's "Guide to Movie Snacks" by tomorrow for activity. Also, Pop Culture Interview is due this Friday in class!
2. We viewed an episode of Man vs. Wild; to make up the points for this activity, access posted Man vs. Wild Make-up Assignment in Canvas - Process Analysis module. Email to Mrs. Bondi. +10
*Wednesday, Sept. 25th
1. Turn in your Man vs. Wild Activity to the front make-up tray upon your return. +10
2. Reminder: Pop Culture Interview is due this Friday in class!
3. Access posted Process Analysis Exploration slide show
in Canvas - Process Analysis module. Complete the tasks on your own, and email activity to Mrs. Bondi email@example.com
*Thursday, Sept. 26th
1. Please show Mrs. Bondi your PA Exploration/Rotations Activity from yesterday (highlighting/labeling from King's "Guide to Movie Snacks") upon your return to class (or email it). +15
2. Retrieve article packet in back ENG 101 tray (or print posted Deconstructing eHow Articles in Canvas - Process Analysis module). Choose 1 of the 2 articles to work with. Access posted Deconstructing the PA Essay slide show in Canvas - Process Analysis module, and complete the tasks in the slide show for your article. We finished today with rating, and will complete the rest in class tomorrow.
3. Reminder: Pop Culture Interview is due tomorrow in class!
4. We also viewed the 1st Pep Assembly in Ridge's history! :)
*Friday, Sept. 27th
1. Retrieve graded materials from Mrs. Bondi upon your return; ask if you have any questions regarding graded materials.
2. We finished our Deconstruction Activity from yesterday - to complete this assignment, access posted Deconstructing the PA Essay slide show in Canvas - Process Analysis module, complete the task on slide 12, and show Mrs. Bondi your completed assignment to receive your points. Remember to do this upon your return to class! +10
3. We will look at the Pop Culture Interview on Wednesday, 10/2, since we did not have time today. Do NOT turn it in; we still have an activity to do in class before you turn it in!
*Wednesday, Oct. 2nd
1. Retrieve Visual Prewriting/Silent Discussion handout and Graphic Organizer in back ENG 102 tray (or print posted copies in Canvas - Process Analysis module).
2. Access Pop Culture Silent Discussion slide show posted in Canvas - Process Analysis module. Follow the instructions on the slides, and THEN submit your completed Pop Culture Interview to Canvas (again, see instructions in slide show). +15
3. To make up the points you missed from today's Silent Discussion, access the Visual Prewriting/Silent Discussion handout (the side with the 4 boxes), fill in the stem on the top for your topic (I am going to teach someone how to _____________), and then ask people to fill in at least 2 comments for all 4 quadrants (thus, you will have at least 8 total comments/2 per box. Have those people you asked enter their initials next to their comment in the small boxes). SHOW THIS HANDOUT TO MRS. BONDI TO RECEIVE POINTS FOR THIS ACTIVITY. +10
4. Access the Process Analysis Prewriting slide show posted in Canvas - Process Analysis module. You will need this slide show to complete the Visual Prewriting handout. We will discuss the Graphic Organizer tomorrow in class. Both prewriting activities are due Wed., Oct. 9th.
*Thursday, Oct. 3rd
1. See Mrs. Bondi to take the TRP Survey.
2. Retrieve copy of Process Analysis Formatting handout in the back ENG 101 tray (or access posted copy in Canvas - PA module); ask another student or Mrs. Bondi what to highlight on this handout.
3. Access posted Process Analysis Essay slide show in Canvas - PA module. We discussed this in detail; please ask if you have any questions regarding this essay. TTAPP Approval begins tomorrow!
*Friday, Oct. 4th
1. Class time for TTAPP Approvals & Prewriting (TTAPP Approvals due Tues., 10/8; Prewriting due Wed., 10/9).
*Monday, Oct. 7th
1. Per. 1 - we won the doughnut party for our Book Drive! We celebrate this Thursday! :)
2. Class time for TTAPP Approvals & Prewriting (TTAPP Approvals due tomorrow by the end of the period; Prewriting due Wed., 10/9, at the beginning of the period). Begin Rough Draft if finished with both Prewriting Activities.
*Tuesday, Oct. 8th
1. Retrieve Rough Draft Checklist from back 101 tray or access posted Checklist Before Rough Draft in Canvas - Process Analysis module. Use this checklist as you compose your Rough Draft to ensure you have all required elements.
2. Access Process Analysis Essay slide show to see revised due dates (slide 30). Due dates are also on the side board in the classroom.
3. Retrieve Food Drive Incentive from front table if you are interested (instructions are on the 1/2 sheet). :)
4. Email your TTAPP to Mrs. Bondi TODAY if you have not received approval as it is due today! You will turn in Approved TTAPP for points on Thurs., 10/17.
5. Reminder: Prewriting (both handouts) is due in class tomorrow, Wed., 10/9 at the beginning of class!
6. Students had class time to finish TTAPP Approvals, complete Prewriting, and/or work on Rough Draft.
*Wednesday, Oct. 9th
1. Turn in both Prewriting handouts to the front make-up tray upon your return (staple the Visual Prewriting to the FRONT of the Graphic Organizer). +30
2. Review posted Works Cited slide show in Canvas - Process Analysis module. Please ask if you have any questions; you will most likely use slide 7 for your article citation. Also see side board when you return for lead-in samples, with and without source.
3. Work time for Rough Draft with ALL requirements! Use Checklist and Formatting Handout as you compose your Rough Draft! Rough Draft is due this Friday, 10/11, to Canvas by 7:30 AM AND a hard copy in class!
*Thursday, Oct. 10th
1. Retrieve Midterm Prep handout from back 101 tray (or access posted copy in Canvas - Midterm module). Ask another student or Mrs. Bondi what to highlight on this handout; articles are due to Canvas by 7:30 AM on Thursday, 10/17 (or bring in hard copies of articles this day)!
2. Final work day for Rough Draft with ALL requirements! Use Checklist and Formatting Handout as you compose your Rough Draft! Rough Draft is due TOMORROW to Canvas by 7:30 AM AND a hard copy in class!
*Friday, Oct. 11th
1. IF you submitted your Rough Draft to Canvas/turnitin by 7:30 AM (due date) today, access PA Rough Draft Peer Edit slide show AND PA Rough Draft Checklist in Canvas - PA module (or retrieve hard copy of Checklist in back 101 tray). Using the instructions on the slide show, go through your Rough Draft and record your points on the Rough Draft Checklist. TURN THIS IN TO THE FRONT MAKE-UP TRAY UPON YOUR RETURN TO CLASS (or email Checklist to Mrs. Bondi). Remember the day-for-a-day policy! +50
2. Students had work time to find/read their Midterm articles or revise their Rough Draft for Round 2 Self Edit on Tuesday, 10/15.