Early Entry Kindergarten
Typical Kindergarten Entry
All children who are 5 years old by August 31, 2021 are eligible to enroll in kindergarten for the 2021-2022 school year.
If this is the case for your child, please follow this link to our enrollment page.Early Kindergarten EntryChildren who turn 5 between September 1 and December 31, 2021 may be assessed to determine readiness for early entrance into kindergarten. The intent of early entrance is to identify highly capable children who miss the regular September 1 cutoff for kindergarten entrance. Early entry is specifically geared for children whose curriculum achievement level far exceeds the norm.
In order to be considered for the early entrance acceptance, the child must exhibit advanced skills (in relation to their grade level peers) in language arts, mathematics, social, emotional, and motor development as measured by tests administered by the Deer Valley Unified School District.
About Early Entrance Kindergarten
In order for children to qualify for early entrance into our kindergarten program, students must be able to demonstrate the following basic skills. Please note that the list below describes general concepts that are tested during kindergarten readiness testing. Due to the testing being a secure document, we are unable to list individual test concepts or questions.Social and Emotional Skills
Academic SkillsLiteracy skills including:
- Communicate clearly and answer questions in complete sentences
- Separate easily from parents/caregivers without getting upset
- Interact appropriately with adults
- Follow simple instructions with 2 to 3 step directions
- Know personal information (name, age, gender)
- Pay attention to a single task for an extended period of time
- Identify upper and lowercase letter names and sounds
- Identify the sounds in words
Math skills including:
- Number reasoning, fluency, and comparisons
- Count to 20 in sequence
and identify numbers
Other academic skills:
Fine/Gross Motor Skills
- Identify colors and shapes
- Write his/her own name
- Express ideas and thoughts verbally
- Use proper grip while using pencil, crayons, and scissors
- Cut with scissors
In addition to the test results, the following key indicators will be considered along with identified pertinent information when making the decision regarding early entrance to kindergarten:
- Early entrance into kindergarten is intended for children who excel in meeting the kindergarten readiness standards and are capable of working in a classroom setting with children who are up to 13 months older
- The needs of the whole child should be considered including social/emotional and physical factors as well as cognitive
- A child should exhibit a level of intellectual, physical, social, and emotional maturity that is commensurate with that of children who are up to 13 months older
Thirty Day Classroom Observation PeriodIf your student meets the kindergarten readiness criteria for placement, an additional kindergarten skills testing will be administered with no fee to all kindergartners prior to the start of the school year. The skills testing is scheduled by your student's home school. Please be aware that the kindergarten teacher will observe the early enrolled kindergarten student's work habits and developmental maturity in the classroom setting during the first thirty (30) school days enrolled. If there is a concern about the appropriateness of placement during that time, the school will have ongoing formal and documented communication with you. The administrator and the teacher will meet with the parent at the end of the 30 days if it is determined that the child is struggling academically, socially, or behaviorally. The principal will make a determination at the end of the 30-day time period about the continuation of placement in early entry kindergarten after reviewing all data and communicate that decision with you. The administrator decision is final.
Online registration begins February 12, 2021. A $75 non-refundable testing fee is due at the time of registration.Testing dates are:
- May 19 Wednesday
- May 20 Thursday
- June 8 Tuesday
- June 15 Tuesday
- July 8 Thursday
Testing will take place at the DVUSD District Office Governing Board Room, 20402 N. 15th Avenue, Phoenix, Arizona 85027. Please arrive 20 minutes early and allow 1 ½ hours for the testing. The testing is individually administered by early education teachers. Due to FERPA laws, the results of the test CANNOT be released via phone. Test results will be e-mailed within two weeks of the test date. All results are final and retesting is not permitted. Parents can then enroll their child into kindergarten by presenting the acceptance letter stating the student has passed the Kindergarten Readiness Test to the home school registrar.
No age-exceptions will be granted after the start of the first day of the school year, unless unique circumstances exist with children transferring from another school, state or country. In these unique circumstances, all rules and procedures described above will be followed. No screenings from other schools will be accepted.
Schedule Your Child for Testing
Open Enrollment Option
- On or after 2/12/21, click HERE for MAY 2021 Early Entry Kindergarten Testing Dates OR click HERE for JUNE/JULY 2021 Early Entry Kindergarten Testing Dates and enroll your child in one of the available test time slots and pay the non-refundable $75.00 registration fee.
- On the test date/time, bring the original birth certificate and a paper copy of your receipt to the DVUSD District Office Governing Board Room, 20402 N. 15th Ave., Phoenix, AZ 85027. Note: Your child will not be permitted to test unless these documents are received and verified at the time of your child's test appointment.
For additional questions regarding registration, contact our Community Education office at email@example.com
If your child meets the criteria for placement in kindergarten and you are interested in your student attending a school that is not in your attendance boundary, you will need to complete an online Open Enrollment Application after you receive the acceptance letter for early entrance into kindergarten. Note: This qualifying letter will need to be uploaded to the online Open Enrollment Application.
- If your student does not meet the kindergarten readiness requirements, we would recommend that you consider one of our district's preschool options. Please click here for additional information on our quality preschool programs
- Getting our youngest DVUSD students off to a great start is one of our most treasured responsibilities. We are excited to offer a variety of programs and services to you and hope to be able to accommodate your preschooler's needs.
For further information or assistance please call the following:
Community Education for general education preschool/prekindergarten at (623) 376-3979 or
Early Childhood for Developmental and Head Start programs at (623) 445-4991
The District may charge tuition for any child who is ineligible for basic state aid pursuant to A.R.S. 15-821.Before & After School Care ProgramEarly entry kindergarten students may enroll for the Before & After School Care Program once they have reached their 5th birthday.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.