Early Entry First Grade
EARLY ENTRANCE INTO FIRST GRADE
(FIRST GRADE READINESS TESTING)
TESTING BEGINS SUMMER 2020
Children who are 6 years old by August 31, 2020 are eligible to enroll in first grade. However, children who turn 6 between September 1 and December 31, 2020 may be assessed to determine readiness for early entrance into first grade.
The intent of early entrance is to identify highly capable children who miss the regular September 1 cutoff for first grade entrance. Early entry is specifically geared for children whose curriculum achievement level far exceeds the norm. In order to be considered for the early entrance exception, the child must exhibit advanced skills in language arts, mathematics, and in social, emotional and motor development as measured by tests administered by the Deer Valley Unified School District.
All first grade readiness testing registration is completed online beginning February 6, 2020. The testing dates for early entrance into first grade are indicated below. A $75 non-refundable testing fee is due at the time of registration. Your testing date will be assigned after submitting required documentation.Testing dates are:
- TO BE ANNOUNCED
Testing will take place at the DVUSD District Office, 20402 N. 15th Avenue, Phoenix, Arizona 85027. Please allow 1 ½ hours for the testing. The testing is individually administered by early education teachers. Due to FERPA laws, the results of the test CANNOT be released via phone. Test results will be mailed within two weeks of the test date. All results are final. Parents can then enroll child into first grade by presenting the acceptance letter, stating the student has passed the first grade readiness test to the home school registrar. Your testing date will be assigned after submitting required documentation.
No age-exceptions will be granted after the start of the first day of the school year, unless unique circumstances exist with children transferring from another school, state or country. In these unique circumstances, all rules and procedures described above will be followed. No screenings from other schools will be accepted.
In addition to the test results, the following key indicators will be considered along with identified pertinent information when making the decision regarding early entrance to first grade:
- Early entrance into first grade is intended for children who excel in meeting the first grade readiness standards and are capable of working in a classroom setting with children who are up to 13 months older.
- The needs of the whole child should be considered including social/emotional and physical factors as well as cognitive.
- A child should exhibit a level of intellectual, physical, social, and emotional maturity that is commensurate with that of children who are up to 13 months older.
Schedule Your Child for Testing
- On or after 2/6/20, complete test registration application at www.dvusd.org/communityed/register and pay the non-refundable $75 registration fee.
- Bring your receipt, original birth certificate, and kindergarten grade report (attendance at a kindergarten during the 2019-2020 school year is required in order to register for the first grade testing for the 2020-2021 school year) to the DVUSD Community Education Office, 7071 W. Hillcrest Blvd., Glendale, Arizona 85310 between the hours of 8:00 am – 4:30 pm Monday through Friday (our office building is located at the far east side of the parking lot of Copper Creek Elementary School).
- Testing date confirmation will be emailed to you within a few days.
- For additional questions regarding registration, contact our Community Education office at (623) 376-3979.
Thirty Day Classroom Observation PeriodIf your student passes the first grade readiness test, please be aware that the first grade teacher will observe the early enrolled student's work habits and developmental maturity in the classroom setting during the first thirty (30) school days enrolled. If there is a concern about the appropriateness of placement during that time, the school will have ongoing formal and documented communication with you. The administrator and the teacher will meet with the parent at the end of the 30 days if it is determined that the child is struggling academically, socially, or behaviorally. The principal will make a determination at the end of the 30-day time period about the continuation of placement in early entry first grade after reviewing all data and will communicate that decision with you. The administrator decision is final.
Open Enrollment Option
If your student meets the criteria for placement in the first grade and you are interested in your student attending a school that is not in your attendance boundary, you will need to complete an online Open Enrollment Application after you receive the acceptance letter for early entrance into first grade. Note: This qualifying letter will need to be uploaded to the online enrollment application.