First Grade Requirements:
According to the Arizona Education Code 15-821 (C), “a child is eligible for first grade if the child is six years of age. A child is deemed six years of age if the child reaches the age of six before September 1 of the current school year. The governing board may admit children who have not reached the required age as prescribed by this subsection if it is determined to be in the best interest of the children. For children entering the first grade, such determination shall be based upon one or more consultations with the parent, parents, guardians, the children, the teacher, and the school principal. Such children must reach the required age… of six for first grade by January 1 of the current school year.”
EARLY ENTRY 1ST GRADE
Typical 1st Grade EntryChildren who are 6 years old by August 31, 2023 are eligible to enroll in first grade. Families should provide documentation showing successful completion of Kindergarten at another school as part of the enrollment process.If this is the case for your child, please follow this link to our enrollment page.
Early 1st Grade Entry
Children who turn 6 between September 1 and December 31, 2023 may be assessed to determine readiness for early entrance into first grade.
The intent of early entrance is to identify highly capable children who miss the regular September 1 cutoff for first grade entrance. Early entry is specifically geared for children whose curriculum achievement level far exceeds the norm. In order to be considered for the early entrance exception, the child must exhibit advanced skills in language arts, mathematics, and in social, emotional and motor development as measured by tests administered by the Deer Valley Unified School District.
About Early Entrance 1st Grade
In order for children to qualify for early entrance into 1st Grade, students must be able to demonstrate the following basic skills. (Please note that the list below describes general concepts that are tested.) Due to the testing being a secure document, we are unable to list individual test concepts or questions.Social and Emotional Skills
- Communicate clearly and answer questions in complete sentences
- Separate easily from parents/caregivers without getting upset
- Interact appropriately with adults
- Follow simple instructions with multi-step directions
- Pay attention to a single task for an extended period of time
- Grade level Math, literacy, and writing skills
- Express ideas and thoughts verbally and in writing
In addition to the test results, the following key indicators will be considered along with identified pertinent information when making the decision regarding early entrance to first grade:
- Early entrance into first grade is intended for children who excel in meeting the first grade readiness standards and are capable of working in a classroom setting with children who are up to 13 months older.
- The needs of the whole child should be considered including social/emotional and physical factors as well as cognitive.
- A child should exhibit a level of intellectual, physical, social, and emotional maturity that is commensurate with that of children who are up to 13 months older.
EARLY ENTRY 1ST GRADE
SCHEDULE YOUR CHILD FOR TESTING
OPEN ENROLLMENT OPTIONS
30-DAY OBSERVATION PERIOD
BEFORE AND AFTER SCHOOL CARE PROGRAM
Before & After School Care Program
Early entry kindergarten students may enroll for the Before & After School Care Program once they have reached their 5th birthday.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.