Early Entry First Grade
Typical 1st Grade EntryChildren who are 6 years old by August 31, 2021 are eligible to enroll in first grade.If this is the case for your child, please follow this link to our enrollment page.
Early 1st Grade Entry
Children who turn 6 between September 1 and December 31, 2021 may be assessed to determine readiness for early entrance into first grade.
The intent of early entrance is to identify highly capable children who miss the regular September 1 cutoff for first grade entrance. Early entry is specifically geared for children whose curriculum achievement level far exceeds the norm. In order to be considered for the early entrance exception, the child must exhibit advanced skills in language arts, mathematics, and in social, emotional and motor development as measured by tests administered by the Deer Valley Unified School District.
About Early Entrance 1st Grade
In order for children to qualify for early entrance into 1st Grade, students must be able to demonstrate the following basic skills. (Please note that the list below describes general concepts that are tested.) Due to the testing being a secure document, we are unable to list individual test concepts or questions.Social and Emotional Skills
- Communicate clearly and answer questions in complete sentences
- Separate easily from parents/caregivers without getting upset
- Interact appropriately with adults
- Follow simple instructions with multi step directions
- Pay attention to a single task for an extended period of time
- Grade level Math, literacy, and writing skills
- Express ideas and thoughts verbally and in writing
In addition to the test results, the following key indicators will be considered along with identified pertinent information when making the decision regarding early entrance to first grade:
- Early entrance into first grade is intended for children who excel in meeting the first grade readiness standards and are capable of working in a classroom setting with children who are up to 13 months older.
- The needs of the whole child should be considered including social/emotional and physical factors as well as cognitive.
- A child should exhibit a level of intellectual, physical, social, and emotional maturity that is commensurate with that of children who are up to 13 months older.
Thirty Day Classroom Observation PeriodIf your child passes the first grade readiness test, please be aware that the first grade teacher will observe the early enrolled student's work habits and developmental maturity in the classroom setting during the first thirty (30) school days enrolled. If there is a concern about the appropriateness of placement during that time, the school will have ongoing formal and documented communication with you. The administrator and the teacher will meet with the parent at the end of the 30 days if it is determined that the child is struggling academically, socially, or behaviorally. The principal will make a determination at the end of the 30-day time period about the continuation of placement in early entry first grade after reviewing all data and will communicate that decision with you. The administrator decision is final.Testing Registration
1st grade readiness testing begins online February 12, 2021. A $75 non-refundable testing fee is due at the time of registration.Testing dates:
- June 21 Monday
- June 28 Monday
Testing will take place at the DVUSD District Office (Head Start Office), 20402 N. 15th Avenue, Phoenix, Arizona 85027. Please allow up to 1 ½ hours for the testing. The testing is individually administered by early education teachers. Due to FERPA laws, the results of the test CANNOT be released via phone. Test results will be mailed within two weeks of the test date. All results are final. Parents can then enroll child into first grade by presenting the acceptance letter, stating the student has passed the first grade readiness test to the home school registrar. Your testing date will be assigned after submitting required documentation.
No age-exceptions will be granted after the start of the first day of the school year, unless unique circumstances exist with children transferring from another school, state or country. In these unique circumstances, all rules and procedures described above will be followed. No screenings from other schools will be accepted.
Schedule Your Child for Testing
Open Enrollment Option
- On or after 2/12/21, click here for Early Entry First Grade testing and enroll your child in one of the available test time slots and pay the non-refundable $75.00 registration fee.
- On the test date/time, bring: (1) a paper copy of your receipt; (2) your child's original birth certificate; and (3) your child's kindergarten grade report (attendance at a kindergarten during the 2020-2021 school year is required in order to register for the first grade testing for the 2021-2022 school year) to the DVUSD District Office Complex, 20402 N. 15th Ave., Phoenix, AZ 85027. Testing will be in the Head Start Office to the west of the main building. Note: Your child will not be permitted to test unless these documents are received and verified at the time of your child's test appointment.
- For additional questions regarding registration, contact our Community Education office at firstname.lastname@example.org
If your child meets the criteria for placement in the first grade and you are interested in your student attending a school that is not in your attendance boundary, you will need to complete an online Open Enrollment Application after you receive the acceptance letter for early entrance into first grade. Note: This qualifying letter will need to be uploaded to the online enrollment application.Before & After School Care ProgramEarly entry kindergarten students may enroll for the Before & After School Care Program once they have reached their 5th birthday.
Please email email@example.com if you have any questions.