• in an effort to collect samples with student traffic, these samples were taken at 310pm.

     
    A letter from Jim Migliorino about the current reports of testing.
     
    Ms. Wieser:
     
    Attached are the results and the report from the air samples that were taken last week.  The results are favorable so we may want to think about getting the Task Force to consider a longer duration between testing.  Since the question came up about the "None Detected" results I asked for Mr. Erickson to provide some insight to this and here is his response:
     
    Jim,
    Good afternoon. In regards to your question about the "None Detected" spore levels found in some our our sampling. The 1st and most logical explanation is that when we or any IEP/IAQ (Indoor Environmental Professional/Indoor Air Quality Professional) professional conducts non-viable air sampling it is a 5 minute (which is industry standard) "snap-shot" in time. I/we can sample same exact locations minutes, hours and days etc. apart and get a different reading just about every time. Also, from an engineering stand point all buildings conform to an Air Change Rate which is achieved through the HVAC systems and schools typically have a higher exchange rate than residential and most regular commercial buildings per engineering specs due to the type of facility they are. With that being said, I tried explaining this to the group of parents and staff that greeted us on our first visit. Schools are less likely to have abnormal airborne microbial (mold) counts unless there is "bigger" problem due to that reason alone. I also explained to the parents and staff that mold is an allergen and affects the human body through ingestion or inhalation. So, as long as the students are not ingesting the mold and the air quality is "good" then the chances of an occupant like a student or staff member being affected at the school would be highly unlikely. In summary most samples do not come back "None Detected" because common indoor environments will always consist of some levels of fungi. This is a basic principle that fungal spores occur naturally everyday and everywhere in the environment, however with the Air Change Rate for schools being greater than the common structure it is not that uncommon to see samples come back "none Detected". I hope this helps you out.
     
    As I hope you are aware, the floor in Room 102 has been sealed.  We will be watching the humidity in the classroom and will see if the carpet responds in the same manner after it has been reinstalled.  Speaking of the carpet, Mr. Jeff Long provided an estimate of the cost differential to replace the carpet instead of cleaning the carpet and reinstalling the existing carpet.  His estimate is this would cost an additional $41,000 for the first floor only.  I think we need to see how the sealing of the floor reacts but I am still inclined to reuse the carpet tiles but would appreciate your thoughts.
     
    As for the sealing of the exterior of the building, I signed the change order to seal/paint the two-story classroom.  This will be scheduled between now and the end of the Winter Break.  The rest of the campus will be sealed/painted during the summer of 2015. 
     
    And finally, we had a mechanical engineer look at the air conditioning units and his findings are interesting.  The current units are a little oversized and as such they have been modified to reduce the air flow as well.  The engineer's thoughts are the units are not running long enough to dehumidify the space since they are too big (can cool the space too quickly) and they are not circulating enough air.  We are currently looking at replacing the units and changing the size of the units to help with this situation.  These replacement could be as early as this Spring that we might consider this project.
     
    Please let me know how I can help in any other way.
     
    Jim