All band students will need to have their working playable instrument and 1'' binder by the end of the first week of school.
Classroom Materials: The majority of all classroom instruction will require:
- Playable working instrument with an “ID” identification tag for example: Full name, contact info, and instrument serial number
- MUSIC FOLDER 7-8th & BINDER 5th & 6th: (fingering chart, glossary, scale sheet, warm up chorales and music, theory work sheets, and in class writing assignments
- A pencil with eraser
- A positive attitude & open mind
- A “Smart Music” Subscription is optional, but very beneficial for individual home practice & self tutoring.
Parents, please plan accordingly so your child is set up for success. Note AMAZON is the best place to order reeds and has the best price.
- Percussion Students need 5A wooden drumsticks, medium rubber mallets, and a stick bag
- Brass Students need valve oil and trombones need slide cream
- Reed playing Students clarinet and saxophone students need to have 3 bamboo working reeds or 2 synthetic “Legere” studio cut reeds at ALL times. Parents should buy their child a box of reeds each semester from a music store or online. Note often one synthetic “Legere” reed tends to last most of the semester and parents can typically get away with only having to purchase a couple for the school year and they do not harbor bacteria the way cane reed do.
clarinet reeds: “Mitchell Laurie” size 3, “Van Doran” size 2.5, or synthetic Legere size 2.50-2.75
saxophone reeds: “Rico Royal” size 2.5, Van Doran size 2, the synthetic brand Legere size 2
PLEASE DO NOT PURCHASE RICO REEDS in the orange box. They may be cheaper, but the quality and cut of bamboo is VERY inconsistent and quality of sound is poor, which can often discourage players.
Music Stores based on proximity to Terramar:
"Music & Arts" = 5350 West Bell Road #132 Glendale, AZ 85308
"Allegro Music" = 3510 E. Bell Rd. Phoenix AZ 85032