The DVUSD Special Needs Preschool Classroom provides free educational services for children who qualify for special education in accordance with federal and state regulations. Children ineligible for special education may attend preschool on a tuition basis as 'preschool peers'. The practice is based on the belief that integrating non-disabled peers into special education classrooms proves beneficial for the children and families involved.
To enroll as a preschool peer, children must demonstrate age appropriate development in motor, communication, self-help, cognitive, social and emotional domains. Children must be 4 years of age by December 31st of the current school year.
Deer Valley Unified School District's Early Childhood Classrooms are based on the belief that all children are capable of success. In partnerships with families, educators, and the community, we provide quality developmentally appropriate learning opportunities designed to meet each child's individual needs.
Deer Valley Unified School District's Early Childhood Classrooms provide an environment that respects the unique developmental needs of each child. Deer Valley provides a play-based environment, which promotes language, intellectual, social, emotional, physical, and creative development of each child. We encourage children to express their individuality by offering developmentally appropriate experience which:
- Encourage self-esteem and self-reliance.
- Develop an interest and joy in learning.
- Enhance communication skills.
- Support concept development.
- Develop fine and gross motor skills.
- Encourage appropriate interactions with children and adults.
- Teach problem-solving and decision-making skills.
- Encourage the child to have concern for others.
- Respect the cultural and individual backgrounds of the home and family.
- Families and staff are partners in observing growth and providing guidance for the success of each child.
Integrated Therapy Services
Physical, Occupational, Speech, Hearing, and Vision therapies are available as specified on the Individual Education Plan. Collaboration with parents, preschool staff, and therapists is an ongoing process within our inclusive model. Children effectively acquire new skills within a natural setting while engaged in meaningful experiences. Therapies are integrated into the daily preschool routine and are designed to meet the individual needs of children.