I would like to welcome your child to my classroom. I am the Reading Specialist and I will be working with your child to help them grow into proficient, strong readers. Your child will visit me Monday - Thursday for 20-30 minutes. I will collect reading data on them as well to make sure we are making progress.
During his/her time with me, your child will be taught targeted skills to help improve their reading skills. I will keep you informed of your child’s progress throughout the time I see them.
You can continue to support your child at home by doing any of the following simple and free activities:
- Read to your child often. You can read books above their reading level so they can grow comprehension skills.
- Have your child read to you at their independent level. Great times for having children read is while you are making dinner or in the car.
- Read aloud directions on video games, recipes, menus or signs
- Write emails, texts or letters to friends or relatives.
- Play rhyming games in the car, in the grocery store, waiting in line etc. Adult says a word and the child gives a rhyming pair. Or give your child two words and ask if they rhyme.
- Buddy read- child reads one page and the adult reads the next page.
- When your child is finished reading a story have them tell you the characters, main idea, problem and solution.