DVEF BATTLE OF THE BOOKSThe Deer Valley Education Foundation (DVEF) will sponsor the 2021-22 Battle of the Books for Deer Valley School District students. The reading incentive program is open to students in fifth and sixth grades. Students read books and come together to demonstrate their abilities and test their knowledge of the books they have read. The competitions are a lively academic competition. Battle of the Books improves reading comprehension, builds vocabulary, and teaches teamwork and good sportsmanship.
Fifth and sixth grade students will be teamed in groups of three (with a maximum of 20 teams per school) to compete and test their knowledge in two exciting school competitions during the 2021-2022 school year. There will be three rounds held in October 2021, January/February 2022 and March 2022. Each round has 4 books for students to read and teams earn points based on correctly answering questions about each round's books. The top team from each school will compete in a District Battle in April/May 2022, with the top team representing our District at an inter-district battle in May 2022.
2021-2022 Battle Books:
Battle I (October):
- The Lightning Thief, Riordan (377 pages, fantasy, 740L)
- Maniac Magee, Spinelli (184 pages, realistic, 820L)
- Number the Stars, Lowry (137 pages, historical, 670L)
- Frindle, Clements (105 pages, realistic, 830L)
Battle II (January/February):
- Joey Pigza Swallowed the Key, Gantos (153 pages, realistic, 970L)
- Among the Hidden, Haddix (153 pages, science fiction, 800L)
- Watsons Go to Birmingham-1963 (210 pages, historical, 1000L)
- The Crossover, Alexander (237 pages, realistic, 750L)
Battle III (March):
- Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher, Coville (151 pages, fantasy, 710L)
- Wonder, Palacio (315 pages, realistic, 790L)
- Sarah Plain and Tall, MacLachlan (91 pages, historical, 560L)
- Everything on a Waffle, Horvath (149 pages, realistic, 950L)
Sign up today and form your team! Parent-Student Agreement Form and/or T-shirt Order Form availalble in the Library or online.
DEER VALLEY EDUCATION FOUNDATIONPhone: (623) 445-5012 / Fax: (623) 445-5087