DVEF BATTLE OF THE BOOKSThe Deer Valley Education Foundation (DVEF) will sponsor the 2022-23 Battle of the Books for Deer Valley School District students. The reading incentive program is open to students in fifth and sixth grades. Students read books and come together to demonstrate their abilities and test their knowledge of the books they have read. The competitions are a lively academic competition. Battle of the Books improves reading comprehension, builds vocabulary, and teaches teamwork and good sportsmanship.
Fifth and sixth grade students will be teamed in groups of three (with a maximum of 20 teams per school) to compete and test their knowledge in two exciting school competitions during the 2022-2023 school year. There will be three rounds held in October 2022, January/February 2023 and March 2023. Each round has 4 books for students to read and teams earn points based on correctly answering questions about each round's books. The top team from each school will compete in a District Battle in April/May 2023, with the top team representing our District at an inter-district battle in May 2023.
2022-2023 Battle Books:
Battle I (October):
- Pictures of Hollis Woods, Giff, Patricia Reilly (176 pages, Realistic, 650L)
- The Girl Who Could Fly, Forester, Victoria (329 pages, SciFi, 920L)
- Earthquake Terror, Kehret, Peg (132 pages, Adventure, 690L)
- Where the Red Fern Grows, Rawls, Wilson (245 pages, Realistic, 700L)
Battle II (January/February):
- Esperanza Rising, Ryan, Pam Munoz (259 pages, Historical, 750L)
- Poppy, Avi (192 pages, Fantasy, 670L)
- Bridge to Terabithia, Paterson, Katherine (208 pages, Realistic, 810L)
- Hatchet, Paulsen, Gary (195 pages, Adventure, 1020L)
Battle III (March):
- The Graveyard Book, Gaiman, Neil (315 pages, Spooky, 820L)
- Riding Freedom, Ryan, Pam Munoz (144 pages, Historical, 720L)
- The View from Saturday, Konigsburg, E.L. (160 pages, Realistic, 870L)
- Castle in the Attic, Winthrop, Elizabeth (137 pages, Fantasy, 750L)
Still have questions? Click for more information!
Sign up today and form your team! ALL FORMS AVAILABLE HERE or in the library.
DEER VALLEY EDUCATION FOUNDATIONPhone: (623) 445-5012 / Fax: (623) 445-5087