Degrees and Certifications:
Fourth Grade Overview
Operations and Algebraic Thinking (OA)
- Use the four operations with whole numbers to solve problems.
- Gain familiarity with factors and multiples.
- Generate and analyze patterns.
Number and Operations in Base Ten (NBT)
- Generalize place value understanding for multi-digit whole numbers.
- Use place value understanding and properties of operations to perform multi-digit arithmetic.
Number and Operations—Fractions (NF)
- Extend understanding of fraction equivalence and ordering.
- Build fractions from unit fractions by applying and extending previous understandings of operations on whole numbers.
- Understand decimal notation for fractions, and compare decimal fractions.
Measurement and Data (MD)
- Solve problems involving measurement and conversion of measurements from a larger unit to a smaller unit.
- Represent and interpret data.
- Geometric measurement: understand concepts of angle and measure angles.
- Draw and identify lines and angles, and classify shapes by properties of their lines and angles.
Mathematical Practices (MP)
- Make sense of problems and persevere in solving them.
- Reason abstractly and quantitatively.
- Construct viable arguments and critique the reasoning of others.
- Model with mathematics.
- Use appropriate tools strategically.
- Attend to precision.
- Look for and make use of structure.
- Look for and express regularity in repeated reasoning.
Units of Study
This year in 4th grade math, we will be focusing on 7 modules from Engage NY to meet the AZ College and Career Ready Standards in Mathematics. They include:
Module 1: Place Value, Rounding, and Algorithms for Addition and Subtraction
Module 2: Unit Conversions and Problem Solving with Metric Measurement
Module 3: Multi-Digit Multiplication and Division
Module 4: Angle Measure and Plane Figure
Module 5: Fraction Equivalence, Ordering and Operations
Module 6: Decimal Fractions
Module 7: Exploring Measurement in Multiplication