About Bright Child:
Deer Valley USD Gifted Services is pleased to continue to offer our full day, self-contained gifted kindergarten programs for the 2018-19 school year. Our Bright Child Kindergarten, offered at Canyon Springs, Highland Lakes, & Norterra Canyon Schools. Bright Child Kindergarten is taught by an experienced, Highly Qualified, and Gifted Endorsed teacher. The program has all of our standard Deer Valley curriculum as well as supplemental gifted and advanced materials, STEM content integration (at Canyon Springs), as well as weekly world language enrichment (Spanish at Canyon Springs & Highland Lakes and French at Norterra Canyon), all in a smaller than average class size.
The program is designed for children who have already completed a year of preschool or prekindergarten and who are functioning well above their similar age peers. Although not part of the Renaissance Highly Gifted Academies, it is our goal that the Bright Child Kindergarten program be an excellent foundation for students looking to apply for Renaissance or other unique gifted programs in first grade or continue on into first grade functioning at a high academic level.
January 31st TBAInformation Nights are held at each school
1. Enroll at one of the three schools or open enroll to one (online here).(If you live in the school's boundaries you can enroll. If you do not, you will need to apply for open enrollment.)
2. Entry Criteria and Applying:All incoming Kindergarteners, who are enrolled at one of the three participating schools, will be contacted by the school to set up a date and time for academic screening regardless of interest in the Bright Child Kindergarten program. Children can qualify for the Bright Child program based on this screening or on outside gifted identification results.
- This means you have had your child privately tested.- You are first in for placements. However, we still ask you to attend academic screeningto best group your child within class.- or -
- If you have gifted identification results that meet the criteria - Email firstname.lastname@example.org the score documentation. We will emial you the appication link if your child qualifies for placement.
- After the screening occurs, if your child qualifies for the Bright Child program,you will be contacted and asked to apply.
- If you are going to apply based on academic screening - Make sure your child attends on of the academic screenings that are posted below.
- If you have questions about the screening, please contact the schools.
Academic Screening Dates 2018
School & Testing Dates:
TBAParents of students who score high enough on the academic screening on May 5th will receive an email the following week inviting them to apply for the program.
TBAParents of students who score high enough on the academic screening on May 4th will receive an email the following week inviting them to apply for the program.
Application for the 2019-20 School Year
The application is now online. Parents with...
- Students looking to be placed with the academic screening, will be emailed the application/link if they meet the requirements after their screening
- Students who already meet the gifted identification requirements, can email the score report to email@example.com. If the requirements are met, you will be emailed the application/link.