Mountain Ridge is pleased to be a Project Lead the Way Certified School in both Biomedical Sciences and Engineering.
The challenging and relevant four-course PLTW Biomedical Science sequence allows students to investigate the roles of biomedical professionals as they study the concepts of human medicine, physiology, genetics, microbiology, and public health. Students engage in activities like investigating the death of a fictional person to learn content in the context of real-world cases. They examine the structures and interactions of human body systems and explore the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of disease, all while working collaboratively to understand and design solutions to the most pressing health challenges of today and the future.
Each course in the Biomedical Science sequence builds on the skills and knowledge students gain in the preceding courses.
PLTW's approach to STEM learning goes beyond the study of science, technology, engineering, and math. Through activity-, project-, and problem-based curriculum, PLTW gives students a chance to lead their own learning and apply their cross-disciplinary knowledge to solve true-to-life challenges.
MRHS PLTW Biomedical Sciences in the Media
HOSA December Newsletter -See Page 3
PLTW Biomedical Sciences at Mountain Ridge Quick Facts
- Career and Technical Education Signature Program
- Designated Honors Level Courses
- PLTW Biomedical Sciences courses are electives, taken with grade level or above science and math courses to prepare for highly competitve STEM careers
- PLTW is Nationally Recognized STEM education provider
- Incorporates various standards
- Arizona CTE Career Preparation Standards-Bioscience
- Arizona College and Career Ready Standards-ELA and Math
- Next Generation Science Standards
- Standards for Technological Literacy
- National Health Science Standards
- Students have the opportunity to participate in MRHS HOSA organization
- professional knowledge
- community serivice
- leadership skills
- Career and Technical Student Organization
- Opportunity to participate in and gain