A letter for our graduates and families from Dr. Stulc
Each graduate will receive 6 tickets (at Senior Checkout)
April 5, 2021
Dear Parents and Class of 2021 Graduates:
Barry Goldwater High School will be holding our graduation ceremony at the State Farm Stadium on May 21, 2021 at 12 noon. The stadium will also provide a limit of SIX tickets per graduate. Tickets will be distributed during senior checkout. We will also live stream the ceremony so that other family members and friends can view it from home. Social distancing protocols will be followed. We are providing the following rules and suggestions in order to conduct a smooth and dignified graduation. We ask that you review these guidelines as we must adhere to them in order for the ceremony to meet stadium and state requirements.
Please keep this list for reference:
- A PowerPoint presentation will be sent to each graduate the first week of May reviewing the procedures the stadium has put in place in order to conduct a safe ceremony. We ask that you make sure this presentation is viewed. This presentation will also be on our website upon release.
- All graduates will be required to go through senior checkout on May 18th. Prior to checkout, seniors must have cleared any debts in the bookstore, media center, cafeteria and returned any books. This should all be done by May 14th. This will expedite checkout. Prior to checkout, graduates will return their Chrome books and iPads. If any monies are still owed, they must be paid in cash at that time. Upon clearance from the bookstore, seniors will receive their cap/gown, parking map, tickets, and diploma.
- Graduation will be at the State Farm Stadium on May 21st @ 12 noon. Graduates should be at the Stadium by 11:15 a.m.
- It is suggested that parents plan to drive to the stadium with the graduate. We have been assigned the EAST parking lot and our entrance for parents and graduates will be GATE 3. A parking map with directions for both general and handicapped parking will be posted on our website and the DVUSD website. Graduates will also receive a copy at senior checkout. Doors will open at 11:00 a.m. Also, please note that seats are assigned (listed on your ticket), so the stadium requests that you do not come any earlier than 11:00 a.m.
MASK REQUIREMENTS for both graduates and guests
*Graduate Masks: Please have your graduate wear a BLACK mask. See guidelines below.
**GUEST Masks: Masks are required for all guests. See guidelines below.
- Masks are required in the Stadium. *Visit State Farm Stadium website “Plan your visit”
Face coverings must be properly worn and must completely cover the nose and mouth.
In accordance with CDC guidelines, face shields are not an acceptable replacement for a face covering and may not be utilized in place of a face covering. Face coverings with exhalation valves or vents are not acceptable for use.
- Graduates should WEAR their CAP and must carry their gowns into the Stadium. After being checked in, they can put on their gown. Restrooms will not be available for checking appearance.
- Graduates will be guided to enter the building at the same gate as their guests.
- At the gate, the students will have a separate entrance to check in with their school officials.
- Once inside, the graduate will proceed down the instructed set of stairs to the stadium floor.
- The show floor will have a mirrored set of chairs as the waiting area that are six-feet apart.
- The graduates will go to their assigned seat. Seating will be six feet apart.
- Once the graduation begins, the students will walk along the stadium east or west walls with adequate spacing between each student as they proceed to the north side of the floor to be seated.
- Upon the conclusion of graduation, students will be instructed to exit the same stairwell entered.
- Students and guests will be asked to refrain from congregating outside the stadium.
- Each graduate will be given six tickets for guests to be in attendance for the graduation.
- Guests will be asked to park in the GATE 3 parking lot.
- Guests will be asked to arrive at their gate opening time to avoid large crowds on the plaza and follow social distancing protocols.
- When gates open, each guest must have a ticket to be allowed admittance.
- Upon arrival, the guest will be asked to sit in their assigned seat printed on their ticket. If ADA seating is required, a stadium representative can assist.
- Once the graduation has ended, the guests will be instructed to exit at the same gate they entered.
- Graduates and guests will be asked to refrain from congregating outside the stadium.
GRADUATE STAGING, VIDEO AND PHOTOGRAPHY
- Graduates will be seated on the main floor of the stadium in alphabetical order A-K on the left side as you face the stage and L-Z on the right side as you face the stage. Names will be read alternating left side, right side. Guests will be in the audience stands in the north end zone section. No guests will be allowed on the floor of the stadium.
- The audience stands as the graduates enter and remains standing through the presentation of colors, national anthem, and the Pledge of Allegiance.
- Graduates will receive their diploma cover when they cross the stage. If a graduate is not attending the ceremony, they will be able to pick up their diploma cover at BGHS during business hours beginning May 24th.
- An official photographer will be taking pictures of all graduates receiving their diplomas. Also, an official videographer will video the ceremony. Handheld video cameras will be allowed; But the stadium does not allow video camera stands. We also ask that you not leave your seat to take pictures. This policy is a courtesy to the other spectators and will be enforced by stadium security. Both the photographs and the DVD are available for purchase. Information is posted on our website and flyers are attached to this email. DVD ordering: http://weecksproductions.com/dvusd/ Picture ordering: https://vando.imagequix.com/g1000836903#login
GRADUATE & AUDIENCE DRESS AND DECORUM
- Men graduates should wear dress slacks, socks and shoes, a dress shirt with a collar. Ties are preferred.
- Female graduates should wear dresses, skirts or dress slacks with a dress shirt/blouse. Please be cautious in choice of shoes. Floor length dresses are discouraged.
- Purses/Cell phones should not be carried by graduates during the ceremony. Please leave them with family or friends.
- All graduates need to remember that graduation is dignified, formal occasion. Appropriate, dignified behavior is expected.
- Please note: Restrooms will not be available for dressing/appearance purposes, so please come ceremony ready.
- GRADUATES SHOULD WEAR THEIR CAP AND CARRY THEIR GOWN INTO THE STADIUM.
- Caps and Gowns may not be decorated. Tassels will be worn on the right side of the cap.
- See below for approved regalia.
- Graduates will wear school approved cap, tassel, medallion and gown without alterations or additional decoration. Corsages, wrist corsages, boutonnieres or leis may not be worn on top of gowns.
- School administration may approve graduates to wear additional regalia that meet the following criteria:
- Awarded by an organization with academic association affiliated with a DVUSD high school
- Awarded by an organization associated with a national honor society which has a minimum
- GPA requirement or some other academic criteria
- Stole provided by the school for the senior officers of the student government body of the school designating their position of office
- Medallion provided by the school for the students in top 1% of the graduating class
- Provided by a United States military branch
- No other regalia may be worn over the graduation gowns.
- Spectators must be appropriately dressed for admission to the graduation. This is a special event. Those wearing cut-offs and t-shirts for example, will be denied admission.
- There are certain expectations for audience behavior. The stadium and Deer Valley Unified School District will not allow items such as noise makers, air horns, beach balls, helium balloons, posters, aerosol cans, beverage containers, glass containers or vases, coolers, laser pointers, smokeless cigarettes, drones, selfie sticks or any other items that will be a disruption to the ceremony in the facility. This applies to graduates, parents, and guests. A complete list is posted on both the BGHS website and the district website. The stadium will strictly enforce checking for these prohibited items.
- Following the closing, graduates and guests will exit GATE 3. All participants and spectators must vacate the facility immediately as another graduation follows. PLEASE do not congregate in front of GATE 3. Due to social distancing guidelines, you must exit to your vehicles immediately.
We know that this past year has been difficult in many ways and we are very glad to be working together to make this ceremony special for our Class of 2021. Graduation is a momentous occasion, and we want the decorum to make it memorable for years to come. Thank you for your continued and phenomenal support of Barry Goldwater High School.
Anita M. Stulc
Dr. Anita Stulc, Principal
Barry Goldwater High School