Degrees and Certifications:
Bachelor of Science Physical Education/Health K-6, 7-12 Grand Canyon Univ.
Hi, I’m Coach Patena and I teach Middle School Health and K-6 Physical Education. I was born in Cleveland Ohio, but have lived in the PHX area for most of my life. I have been teaching for over 15 years and feel privileged to be a part of West Wing Staff. Looking forward to a great school year ahead! I've included my P.E. Sylllabus below. You will also find my Health syllabus under "Health" on this webpage. Please e-mail me with any questions.
WEST WING PHYS. ED. Class Syllabus
P.E. Course Overview
The West Wing Physical Education Program is dedicated to providing students with a well-rounded curriculum. It is designed to encourage our students to become life-long learners of activity and recreation. We take pride in offering a wide variety and “out of the box” activity experiences such as archery, hiking, and golf. The West Wing P.E. Department Program will take pride in covering:
- Nutrition and overall wellness concept
- Physical activities, both individual and team
- Basic sports skills and fundamental play
- Locomotor skill development
- Rules and etiquette of various sports and recreational games
- Sportsmanship and team work
- Social skills and peer relationships
- Coordination and agility drills
- Strategy and cooperation
Student’s grades are assigned based on their completion of 3 daily tasks.
- Class Preparedness: Students earn points each day for coming to class prepared. It is important that each student follow these guidelines to ensure they are able to participate in the daily activity.
- Clothing: On PE days, students are encouraged to wear comfortable clothing. Please be mindful of weather conditions. Layering is always good for winter season. If a dress is worn, the student must have shorts or pants underneath.
- Shoes: Tennis shoes are required. Sandals, boots, wedges, etc., are considered a safety concern and the student will not be able to participate for the day. Converse and vans/skater are allowed.
- Jewelry: Please take caution in wearing heavy jewelry to PE class. Smaller earrings and lightweight watches are fine.
- Personal Items/Phones/Electronics: Students should leave these belongings at home or in their classroom. Students take full responsibility for lost or broken phones in P.E.
- Effort and Participation: Students are expected to fully participate in the PE procedures, routines, rules and activities for the day. Students will be graded on their effort and participation. Students who elect not to participate will lose their daily points.
- Behavior and Sportsmanship: During Physical Education, students are encouraged to have fun, play hard, and try their best. Social development is a very important aspect of Physical Education. It is an excellent time to build friendships and utilize social skills. However, it is equally important to remain respectful and demonstrate good sportsmanship/team work. Failure to demonstrate good social skills and appropriate behavior will result in loss of points.
Should your child need to be excused from the daily activity, please send a parental or doctor’s note with your child. You can also e-mail me. Please note:
- Students with a doctor’s note will need a doctor’s clearance to return to PE after an extended excuse (more than 3 days).
- Students with casts will not be allowed to participate in any activity that may cause contact or injury to themselves or others.
- Observe all school rules while in class
- Follow directions the first time given
- Treat equipment and facilities with proper care
- Demonstrate respect for self and others
- Wear appropriate shoes/clothing for participation
- Participate in daily activities and lessons
- Demonstrate good sportsmanship and proper behavior
- Verbal warning
- Time away from activity
- Call to parent/guardian or written notification
- Written lunch detention/regular detention
- Referral to Administration Office
Please contact me with any questions you may have. Looking forward to a great year ahead! Coach Patena firstname.lastname@example.org