Sierra Verde STEM Academy Grading Policy
The primary goal of grading is to provide feedback regarding mastery of the Arizona State Content Standards. Grading practices at Sierra Verde measure a student's performance with respect to achieving proficiency on the state standards and align with the Deer Valley district's Promotion, Retention, and Grading, (PRAG), handbook, When parents and students receive quarterly report cards, the information is a summative reflection of these grading practices and guidelines.
Students Role in Learning
- Complete homework and practice when assigned and request help from your teachers when/if you have a misunderstanding.
- Take advantage of opportunities to redo assessments to show mastery or exceed the standards.
- Check PowerSchools regularly to monitor your progress.
- Analyze your own study habits and figure out what works for you.
Teacher's Role in Learning
- Teachers will design assignments, assessments and learning opportunities that meet the Arizona State Content Standards.
- Provide timely feedback and communication to students and parents.
- Follow the DVUSD PRAG guidelines for their grade level band, (K-2, 3-6, and 7-8).
- Communicate retake policies through their grade level handbooks/websites, etc.
Parent's Role in Learning
- Help manage your child’s time for assignments to be completed.
- Provide a suitable study environment.
- Sign necessary forms that are part of the teacher’s/grade level’s retake policies.
- Check PowerSchools regularly to monitor student’s progress on each content standard.
Sierra Verde Norms
- All students can learn (but at different rates).
- Different students take different roads to reach proficiency.
- Learning is continuous.
- Grades are based on academics (not behaviors).
- Students are accountable for learning.
- Students will be assessed individually (even when working in groups).
Sierra Verde Grading Criteria
- Grades 6-8: Assessments 50%, Classwork 45%, Homework 5%.
- No points for non-academic work.
- Missing work will be assigned 25%
- Introductory skills (pretests) should not be used for a grade.
- Students are to be given an opportunity to retake assessments per teacher’s retake policy.
6th - 8th Grade Scale
A = 100-90%
B = 89-80%
C = 79-70%
D = 69-60%
F = 59-25%
The expectation for grades 3-8 is that students will complete all work as this is how they demonstrate what they have learned. Students earning 25% for missing work should promptly schedule a time with their teachers to discuss the missing work.