Dual Enrollment Registration InformationNeed to find out your section number for registration? MRHS Dual Enrollment Course Offerings (with section numbers)Looking for the Rio Salado Dual Enrollment Registration Handout? Rio Salado Registration Handou
Ready to Register?
If you are a returning student (someone who has previously taken dual classes) you will still click on the above link and then you can skip to step 3!
Direct Link to the Under 18/Financial Responsibility Form: https://goo.gl/dvVsCw
My.Maricopa: Once you are a registered this is going to be a very important link for you! This is where you can access your account, review payments, see what you owe, order transcripts --- all things Rio! Remember you will need your MEID for this! http://my.maricopa.edu/
To access your student account just log in to my.maricopa and then click on STUDENT CENTER! Be sure you always have access to your eight digit student ID number as well as your MEID and the password you have attached to your MEID as that is what you will need to log in!
Rio Salado Dual Enrollment Help Line: 480-517-80802018-2019 Rio Salado Dual Registration:
Need to take a placement test?IMPORTANT: If you are taking a placement test on campus you MUST have completed Step 1 of this document: Admissions Step 1 will have you create your account and apply for admissions. This step will identify your MEID and your eight digit Rio Salado ID number - you will need to give these to your teacher to let them know you need to test. If you want to go and take the test on your own before school starts - you will still need to have this step completed!
- Be sure you wait until you are in class to actually register! You need to be sure you have the exact section number for your class period when you register! Your teacher will provide this for you!
- You will want to register all of your fall classes at one time!
- The registration process is different whether you are a new dual enrollment student or a returning student.
- It is important that you have taken the appropriate placement tests for your chosen classes. Math and ENG 101 require a college placement test. Other courses require a reading placement test to satisfy admission requirements if you have never taken a dual class before.
- Be certain that you complete every part of the registration process - if you skip over even one small thing it could prevent you from properly registering and place a hold on your account.
- If you are a new student and you need to submit ID for the admissions process, you will be able to do that online!
- Note that students must begin the registration process, and then a parent will receive an email regarding financial responsiblity. A parent/guardian will then need to follow the directions within the email. Once the parent has done this it could take 3-5 days for the processing. Once processing has been completed, students can log in to their student center (my.maricopa.edu) to pay immediately!
- Be certain you are ONLY enrolling using the proper course section number for your class period! If you don't know what this is - please see your dual teacher!
- If needed, you can still set up a payment plan within your student center!
- If you have any questions, just ask! :)
- Be patient - registration can be a bit of a process, but everyone is working to help ensure you get taken care of and registered appropriately!
- The Reading Accuplacer (what is needed for college admissions) will be offered at Mountain Ridge through your dual class on Wednesday, August 15th.
- The Math Accuplacer will be offered through your math dual class on Monday, August 20th.
- The WritePlacer will be offered through your ENG 101 course on Wednesday, September 5th. Please note a score of 5 or higher is needed to place into ENG 101!
Study Materials to Review BEFORE Completing the above assessments (you will want to scroll down towards the bottom of the web page!): http://www.riosalado.edu/testing/placement/Pages/placementtest.aspx
To sign up for one of the placement tests you will just need to see your dual enrollment teacher.
You can take these tests on your own at any of the 10 Maricopa community colleges. You will need to bring in your test scores to Ms. Bergman in curriculum.
If you have lingering questions or concerns, email me and I will do my best to get you the info you need: firstname.lastname@example.orgRio Salado's Dual Enrollment Main PageRio Salado Credit Transfer Information: http://www.riosalado.edu/advisement/university-transfer/Pages/default.aspxNeed to take the WritePlacer?Important Info for you here:First. what is the WritePlacer and what is expected of you on this test?
Score needed to enroll: 5 or above
Students are given a passage to read and a question about the passage. They are directed to plan and write a multi-paragraph essay (300-600 words) in which they develop their point of view on the question given. They must support their position with reasoning and examples taken from their reading, studies, experiences, or observations. This test measures a student’s ability to write effectively, which is critical to academic success. The writing sample will be scored on the basis of how effectively it communicates a whole message to the readers for the stated purpose. The score is based on the student’s ability to express, organize, and support his/her opinions and ideas, not the position he/she takes on the essay topic. The following five characteristics of writing will be considered:
· Focus—The clarity with which the student maintains their main idea or point of view
· Organization—The clarity with which the student structures their response and presents a logical sequence of ideas
· Development and Support—The extent to which the student elaborates on their ideas and the extent to which they present supporting details
· Sentence Structure—The effectiveness of the student’s sentence structure
· Mechanical Conventions—The extent to which the student’s writing is free of errors in usage and mechanics
Below is a an important link that walks you through the expectations in detail! It provides test instructions for the students, sample prompts, and sample student essays with scores and explanations for the scores! I highly encourage you to go through and review this!
Keep in mind that although a score of 5 is what you need to pass, here are the descriptors of what an essay should include to receive the highest score, which is an 8:
An essay that receives a score of 8 demonstrates clear and consistent mastery of on-demand essay writing with a few minor errors. A typical essay with this score:
• Effectively and insightfully develops a point of view on the issue.
• Addresses an appropriate audience and demonstrates a clear purpose for writing in the thesis statement.
• Demonstrates outstanding critical thinking, using effective examples, reasons, and other evidence to support its position.
• Is well organized and clearly focused, demonstrating clear coherence and smooth progression of ideas.
• Exhibits skillful use of language, using a varied, accurate, and apt vocabulary.
• Demonstrates varied and effective sentence structure.
• Is free of major errors in grammar, spelling and punctuation.