Social Skills Groups
What is it?
A small group setting for students to work on appropriate social skills. Skills covered may include leadership, communication, self-advocacy, problem solving, conflict resolution and/or appropriate classroom behaviors.
Purposes for the student:
- To provide a safe place to share feelings, thoughts and concerns.
- To learn to identify and express feelings appropriately.
- To learn healthy communication skills.
- To learn to treat ourselves and others with respect.
- To learn we are responsible for our own lives, and based on our choices, have the power to change.
Expectations for the student:
- Confidentiality – What is said in group stays in group. *Exceptions: being harmed or harm to self or others.
- No put downs. Everyone is to be treated with respect.
- Everyone has the right to share at their own comfort level.
- Everyone has the right to be heard.
- Be on time.
- Everyone speaks for him/herself.