DVUSD National Board Candidates and Future Candidates
Welcome to the beginning of an incredible journey! For an overview of the National Board Certification Process, supports, and scholarship funding, watch this 20-minute video.
Four Components to Become a National Board Certified Teacher:
- Content Knowledge: A computer- based assessment asks you to demonstrate your understanding of content knowledge and pedagogical practices for teaching your content area.
- Differentiation in Instruction: Requires that candidates gather and analyze information about individual students’ strengths and needs and use that information to design and implement instruction to advance student learning and achievement.
- Teaching Practice and Learning Environment: This portfolio entry requires video recordings of interactions between you and your students. You will also submit a written commentary in which you describe, analyze, and reflection on your teaching and interactions with students.
- Effective and Reflective Practitioner: This portfolio entry requires you to demonstrate evidence of your abilities as an effective and reflective practitioner in developing and applying knowledge of your students; your use of assessments to effectively plan for and positively impact your students’ learning; and your collaboration to advance students’ learning and growth.
Professional Benefits for National Board Certified Teachers:
- Study your own teaching methods!
- Increase your reflective teaching, ability to articulate your practices, and self-efficacy.
- Improve outcomes for your students! See the research!
- Connect with a network of Highly Effective Educators in DVUSD and Arizona.
- DVUSD offers a $1000 annual stipend for the period of your certification.
Are You Interested In National Board Certification?
- The process is flexible! You can take up to three years to submit the four components. You have an additional two years after you fully submit to complete any retakes necessary.
- There are scholarships available in our state, and we have free cohort meetings each month in Deer Valley to support candidates. Find the monthly calendar HERE and a list of Frequently Asked Questions.
- Find out more about National Board Certification on the NBPTS website and/or watching promotional videos on their YouTube channel.
- Enroll in a Pre-Candidacy Class to find out more about National Boards before you decide whether to begin the journey. These classes are offered through the Arizona K12 Center and will be offered for free in Deer Valley beginning Spring of 2020. DVUSD Pre-Candidacy Class.
- Chat with a Deer Valley Candidate Support Provider (coach for National Boards) to find out more and answer your questions. Contact Jess Ledbetter Deer Valley's Lead Coach for AZK12 Center. You can also contact the Director of Organizational Improvement Dr. Paula Tseunis.
Scholarship Links for NB Candidates:
With collaboration from the AZK12 Center and support from Discover Financial and Deer Valley Education Foundation, DVUSD is proud to offer the following 2019-20 scholarship opportunities:
- Apply for funding for Components 2, 3, and 4 through the AZK12 Center.
- Request funding to attend AZK12 Coaching Saturdays HERE.
- Request funding to attend AZK12 National Board Retreat HERE.
- Request funding to complete your Component 1 in 2019-20 cycle HERE.
Printable Flier with all opportunities available HERE.
Thank you Discover Card and Deer Valley Education Foundation for your sponsorship!