Welcome to your 9 week Health course! Health is a state of complete physical, mental, and social well- being. The goal of this class is to help you understand the importance of choosing health and supply you with knowledge to achieve a healthy life style.
My class is designed for cooperative learning. We will do most of our classwork in small groups. My expectation is that students will maintain a high level of maturity. During the course, we will complete many in class projects in cooperative groups and present them to the class. My philosophy is that learning should be fun, challenging and rewarding. I also believe the best learning takes place when students have the opportunity to teach the material to their peers.
I believe that the classroom should be a safe environment that creates a sense of community and teamwork. Together we can achieve great success!
Some of the topics to be covered in Health are as follows:
- Self-Esteem, Self-Concept, Who Am I? - Discovering Self, Hobbies, Interests and Healthy Activities
- Health and Wellness
- Physical Activity and Fitness, Fitness Websites and Apps, Sleep
- Nutrition – MyPlate, Healthy Diet, Food Apps
- Body Systems
- Internet Safety, Bullying, Cyber Safety, Healthy Relationships, Stress, Communication
- Substance Use and Abuse - Alcohol, Tobacco, Illegal drugs, Legal drugs
- Disease Prevention, Skin Cancer, Sun Safety
- Public Service Announcement Group Video/Presentation
General Classroom Expectations:
- BE SAFE keep hands and feet to yourself, use tools and supplies the way they are meant to be used
- BE RESPECTFUL of others, their thoughts, feelings, and opinions. Do your part to create a positive & safe environment for everyone. Listen while other are talking. Respect ALL property.
- BE RESPONSIBLE complete all assignments on time, keep all handouts, make-up absences. Do your best quality work, stay on task, and use your VIPER strategies.
- BE PREPARED for class with health folder, journal, and pencil
- BE ON TIME for class
- BE A PARTICIPANT in all activities and discussions. This includes listening when someone else is talking, joining in on discussions, asking questions, and contributing your thoughts and opinions.
- BE YOUR BEST
Achievement: In-Class Work/Homework, In-Class Projects and Assessments
90% - 100% = A
80% - 89% = B
70% - 79% = C
60% - 69% = D
59% and below = F
- 100% Effort
- DO THE BEST YOU CAN!
- Six Pillars of Character
- Treat everyone the way you would like to be treated.
What you will need:
- ½ inch binder
- 5 dividers
- glue stick
- And a positive attitude!
This is going to be an eye-opening, interactive class that will change your life for the better! I look forward to a great year!
Be Safe * Be Responsible * Be Respectful
Have a Learner’s Attitude ~ YES!
“Deer Valley…a district of excellence with opportunities for every student”