IQ stands for Intellectual Quotient. EQ stands for Emotional Quotient and is equally as important. Every week, there is another taught skill that raises everyone's EQ for the better. This program teaches kids positive, emotional skills that they can use throughout their life. Every week students focus on a motto centered around a quarterly focus. They listen to daily video reminders and strategies that can by applied within school and other life situations.
E.Q. is often referred to as social and emotional learning. To raise a student’s E.Q., Stetson Hills will focus on:
1) Social and Emotional Skills Each Week
2) Building a Positive Community Culture
Quarter 1 Focus and Mottos:
Am I being kind and helpful in this moment?
Week 1: My day depends on me!
- Applying EQ skills to our learning and our life.
Week 2: Are my thoughts helping or hurting me?
- Learning the power of our thoughts.
Week 3: I am always communicating through my body language.
- Understanding non-verbal communication.
Week 4: I show up positively for myself and the people around me.
- Being aware of how we “show up” in class both mentally and physically.
Week 5: I am kind to the people I am with right now!
- Recognizing exclusion and learning how to be an inclusive team player.
Week 6: I am willing to introduce myself and get to know new people.
- Conversation skills, handshakes, and small talk.
Week 7: I don’t trade what I want most for what I want now.
- Understanding delayed gratification and self-discipline.
Week 8: I am a productive team member.
- Managing and participating in groups successfully.
Week 9: I don’t brag because I am happy with myself.
- Learning self-approval and humility.
Quarter 2 Focus and Mottos:
Am I using positive self-talk?
Week 1: I pay attention to what I tell myself.
- Uncovering and transforming negative self-talk.
Week 2: I know what I am looking forward to today.
- Developing a habit of optimism.
Week 3: I make the most out of every experience.
- How to move from “I can’t” to “I can” and believe it.
Week 4: Mistakes can make me better if I let them!
- Recovering and learning from mistakes
Week 5: I say “GOODBYE” to my negative self-talk.
- Letting go of limiting beliefs.
Week 6: I steer clear of gossip.
- Maintaining integrity in challenging social situations.
Week 7: The cure for boredom is curiosity.
- Banishing boredom in school.
Week 8: Learn from others rather than compare yourself to others.
- Using comparison to help, rather than hinder your progress.
Week 9: I choose what I believe about myself.
- Understanding the power of opinions, your own and others.
Quarter 3 Focus and Mottos:
Am I making an honest effort?
Week 1: I bring effort to everything I do.
- Understanding how your effort impacts your experience.
Week 2: I work through confusion.
- How to value confusion as an important part of learning.
Week 3: I make enough time for work, sleep, and free time.
- Work is not an infringement on free time; work is a valuable part of each day.
Week 4: I find purpose in everything I do.
- Connecting to purpose by recognizing the “why” in work.
Week 5: I am always improving.
- Getting comfortable with feedback.
Week 6: I drop my shoulders. I take a few breaths. I can handle this.
- Responding thoughtfully rather than reacting in anger.
Week 7: Our school aides correct us because they care about us!
- Appreciating group safety in a community.
Week 8: I do my best because doing less is a waste of my time and potential.
- Making the most of school by creating quality work.
Week 9: I exercise my brain each day.
- Understanding mindset and motivation.
Quarter 4 Focus and Mottos:
Am I focusing on solutions instead of problems?
Week 1: I adapt and make the most out of change.
- Finding the opportunities in change.
Week 2: I look for solutions, not blame.
- Being proactive instead of reactive.
Week 3: I am willing to make things better.
- Knowing how to recover after a blunder.
Week 4: Tough times happen, but I’m tougher.
- Learning to be resilient.
Week 5: I don’t complain about what I can’t change.
- Breaking the habit of complaining.
Week 6: I can see things from many different points of view.
- Understanding how perspective influences motivation.
Week 7: I seek solutions, not sympathy.
- Learning to be solution-orientated.
Week 8: I am someone people can count on.
- Developing a habit of integrity.
Week 9: I learn more by truly listening to others.
- Understanding the difference between listening to learn and listening to respond.