Jump Start to 1st Grade
Congratulations to your child for successfully completing kindergarten. We are looking forward to a great first grade year. Below is a list of skills that you could review with your child before they begin first grade.
- Know the basic kindergarten sight words. Your child should be able to read these words.
- Practice reading every night.
- Be able to say the corresponding sound for each letter of the alphabet.
- When you read stories to your child, make sure to ask questions about the story. Pay attention to the characters, setting, beginning, middle, and end.
- Write your numbers 0-20 (or more). Numbers should not be backwards.
- Be able to identify numbers 0-20 out of sequence
- Be able to identify shapes and colors.
- Be able to count a set of items correctly, up to 20 (or more).
Be able to write the kindergarten sight words.
- Be able to write all capital and lower case letters correctly.
- Be able to write a simple sentence that starts with a capital and ends with an end mark.
- Be able to write your first and last name correctly.
- Know your student identification number for lunch, library and computers.
- Be able to tie your shoes.
- Be able to open all the containers and packages that you may bring for lunch.