Advanced Band (Grades 7 & 8)Week Of May 4th-10th:This week's lesson will focus on using Smart Music effectively to submit several assignments. Once you log in, you will have 1 rhythm exercise, 1 scale/warm up (Review the key signature!), 1 Sight Reading Exercise, and the first half of Arabian Dances. Review the unusual key signature. It contains accidentals (flats,sharps,naturals) that you aren't used to seeing. Please remember to click on "my part" to listen to what your part should sound like while you practice and check fingerings on notes you may forget by clicking the individual note and clicking the fingering chart bubble that appears under it.You are responsible for any assignments due this upcoming Sunday May 10th. Any assignments due before May 10th are from previous weeks.Email or message me on Canvas with any questions!
7th/8th Grade Advanced Band
- Canvas - This platform is already set up for your use
- Open a Chrome browser and visit: http://start.dvusd.org/ or http://homepage.dvusd.net/
- Type in your UserName and Password
- Locate your Band Class (Band I or Band II)
- Complete your Canvas Assignments; these are all Review of the songs we've been working on
- Smart Music- In order to use the software, you need to create a SmartMusic account and join the class using this code: WD62U-MRDUH
- Open a Chrome browser and visit: https://admin.smartmusic.com/join
- When prompted for a class code, please enter: WD62U-MRDUH
- Complete your SmartMusic Assignment, which is a Review of a scale test you've already completed this year
- WATCH THIS SMART MUSIC TUTORIAL Smart Music Tutorial
- Zoom Meetings Code: (these will change for each meeting)
- Meeting ID: (available in Canvas and via email)
- Password: (available in Canvas and via email)
Where do I find my class information for the week?
- All classes have a page dedicated to their grade level and class on my web page. You should go there at the beginning of each week (Monday morning) to check what your expectations are.
Where do I find my assignments for the week?
- All Band and Choir classes will be using Smart Music for our weekly assignments. Assignments become available at 8 A.M. on Monday of every week and are available for the duration of the week until Sunday evening 11:59 P.M.
How do I submit assignments?
- In Smart Music, you select the assignment that is due and you can record yourself using the red circle (record) button in the center located at the top of the page. I will go over the details of how to use Smart Music and Quaver Music in an online tutorial.
How do I use Quaver Music and Smart Music/When can I contact you if I have questions?
- Please visit me during my office hours on Zoom. Access code will be posted here on Canvas and on my Web Page each morning.
Band and Choir Office Hours: 9 A.M. - 9:30 A.M.
General Music Office Hours: 2 P.M. - 2:30 P.M.
- I Will also post a video tutorial here and on my web page detailing how to use each of our learning platforms.
What else do I need to know about Smart Music?
Everything you need to know about the Desert Mountain Advanced Band Program, grading and attendance policies, required books and materials are contained in the Band Handbook document below. You will receive a copy of this document on your first day of school. The Contract page needs to be signed and returned, (please be sure to provide your email and phone contact information). The Handbook also contains a Band Polo Shirt order form. Use the links below to download digital copies or to print additional copies if needed. (If you've already done this please ignore this message). Please note that we will be using the TNT Warm up Packet and Long Tone Studies in addition to sheet music this year. Percussion will be using the 5 minute drill exercises, and Pre-written exercise packet given out by Mr. C.At the Advanced Level - Grades 7 and 8, developing basic musicianship skills continues to be a priority. Students will begin to use more articulations, perform scales and music in more difficult key signatures, demonstrate vibrato, and perform music at a more advanced level of difficulty (ABODA Solo & Ensemble repertoire, Grades 2 - 3). Ensemble skills will become more developed as students participate in full band settings. Students will describe concepts common to music and other disciplines, and will be involved in discussing various cultures, styles, composers, and historical periods. Band Class for 7th & 8th Graders meets daily (see Band Schedule below).Band Handbook:Band Schedule:
- This web page contains a large collection of band music and our method books.
- In your assignments, there is weekly rhythm reading, sight reading, exercises and a specific repertoire (music) assignment for you to complete. Read the details of each for more information.
- You need to complete the new exercise assignments only 1 time per week.. HOWEVER you should be using the warm-ups every time you play each week. If you'd like to use our regular band warm ups, you can find those on Canvas under the "files" tab.
- Percussion, you should play along with 5-minute drill weekly using this link! Learn 1 Exercise at a time.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__sxV6dTdOU (Links to an external site.)
- Percussion should use a pad and sticks or mallets for anything they can. For our music repertoire, you can use either depending on what skill you want to develop more. Play whatever part you were assigned during 3rd quarter. If no part was assigned to you, pick a part.
- Grading will be modified if the auto-grading feature picks up audio from the metronome or the playback from the song. Message or email me using any of our communication tools if you have trouble with the grading.
Practice Files - Warm Ups:
All Warm Ups available on Canvas under Files
Learner Outcomes:7th Grade Band Standards and OutcomesHome Practice Guide:
Fingering Charts:Avalilable on Canvas under FilesTax Credit Form for any donations to the Desert Mountain Band Program:
- Canvas - This platform is already set up for your use