Intermediate Band (Grade 6)Week Of May 3rd-10th Overview:This week's lesson will focus on getting logged into and familiarizing yourself with the technology resources we will be using for the remainder of the school year. Once you log in, you will have 1 rhythm exercise, 1 scale/warm up (Review the key signature!), 1 Sight Reading Exercise, and continuing to work on new music unique to your instrument that we started 2 weeks ago! Review the instructions for each assignment when you first open it and work on something fun specific to your instrument! Please remember to click on "my part" to listen to what your part should sound like while you practice and check fingerings on notes you may forget by clicking the individual note and clicking the fingering chart bubble that appears under it.You are responsible for any assignments due this upcoming Sunday May 10th Any assignments due May 10th are from previous weeks.
6th Grade Intermediate Band
- Canvas - This platform is already set up for your use
- Smart Music - In order to use the software, you need to create a SmartMusic account and join the class using this code: LF766-LKDV6
- Open a Chrome browser and visit: https://admin.smartmusic.com/join
- When prompted for a class code, please enter: LF766-LKDV6
- Complete your SmartMusic Assignments, which are a review of work we've already worked on in class this year
- WATCH THIS SMART MUSIC TUTORIAL Smart Music Tutorial
- Zoom Meetings Code: (these will change for each meeting)
- Meeting ID:
Where do I find my class information for the week?
- All classes have a page dedicated to their grade level and class on my web page. You should go there at the beginning of each week (Monday morning) to check what your expectations are.
Where do I find my assignments for the week?
- All Band and Choir classes will be using Smart Music for our weekly assignments. Assignments become available at 8 A.M. on Monday of every week and are available for the duration of the week until Sunday evening 11:59 P.M.
How do I submit assignments?
- In Smart Music, you select the assignment that is due and you can record yourself using the red circle (record) button in the center located at the top of the page. I will go over the details of how to use Smart Music and Quaver Music in a Smart Music Tutorial
How do I use Quaver Music and Smart Music/When can I contact you if I have questions?
- Please visit me during my office hours on Zoom. Access code will be posted here on Canvas and on my Web Page each morning.
Band and Choir Office Hours: 9 A.M. - 9:30 A.M.
General Music Office Hours: 2 P.M. - 2:30 P.M.
- I Will also post a video tutorial here and on my web page detailing how to use each of our learning platforms.
What else do I need to know about Smart Music?
Everything you need to know about the Desert Mountain Intermediate Band Program, grading and attendance policies, required books and materials are contained in the Band Handbook document below. (Disregard if you've already done this) You will receive a copy of this document on your first day of school. The Contract page needs to be signed and returned, (please be sure to provide your email and phone contact information). The Handbook also contains a Band Polo Shirt order form. Use the links below to download digital copies or to print additional copies if needed. Please note that we will be using the Tradition Of Excellence Book 2 in addition to sheet music this year. You can purchase this at a local music store, or during Band Rental Night from 5-7 p.m. in the Band Room on August 8th or August 15th.At the Intermediate Level - Grade 6, developing basic musicianship skills continues to be a priority. Students will begin to use more articulations, perform scales and music in more difficult key signatures, and perform music at an intermediate level of difficulty (ABODA Solo repertoire, Grades 1.5 - 2). Ensemble skills will become more developed as students participate in full band settings. Students will describe concepts common to music and other disciplines, and will be involved in discussing various cultures, styles, composers, and historical periods. 6th grade band meets 3 times per week, two times with like instruments, and the third time as a full band (see the Band Schedule below).Band Handbook:Band Schedule:Practice Files:
- This web page contains a large collection of band music and our method books.
- In your assignments, there is weekly rhythm reading, sight reading, exercises and a specific repertoire (music) assignment for you to complete. Read the details of each for more information.
- You need to complete the new exercise assignments only 1 time per week.. HOWEVER you should be using the warm-ups every time you play each week. If you'd like to use our regular band warm ups, you can find those on Canvas under the "files" tab.
- Percussion, you should play along with 5-minute drill weekly using this link! Learn 1 Exercise at a time.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__sxV6dTdOU (Links to an external site.)
- Percussion should use a pad and sticks or mallets for anything they can. For our music repertoire, you can use either depending on what skill you want to develop more. Play whatever part you were assigned during 3rd quarter. If no part was assigned to you, pick a part.
- Grading will be modified if the auto-grading feature picks up audio from the metronome or the playback from the song. Message or email me using any of our communication tools if you have trouble with the grading.
All warm-ups are located in Canvas under "Files" or come directly out of the Tradition of Excellence Book 1Learner Outcomes:
Home Practice Guide:
Fingering Charts:Tax Credit Form for donations for the Desert Mountain Band/Music Program: