Any medication, prescription or over the counter, is furnished by the parent/guardian and brought to the nurse by an adult.
- Prescription medication needs to be in its original pharmacy bottle (pharmacies will provide a second container specifically for school), labeled with the child’s name, prescription number, and identification of medication.
- A doctor’s order form is also required for Prescription medication.
- Over-the-counter medication also needs to be in its original container and has been labeled legibly with the child’s name.
- If the medication is a sample given by the physician, please provide a signed note from the physician telling who the medication if for, the date, and instructions for use.
- The specific directions for administration such as, date, time and amount to be given, for any of these items must be entered onto the consent for administration form and signed by the parent/guardian.
- School district personnel will not be responsible or liable for any reaction to medicines given according to those directions.
- All medication will be kept in a locked cabinet in the nurse’s office and dispensed from there.
- In the Deer Valley school district, Tums, cough drops and ointments/creams such as Neosporin, are considered medications and need to be kept in the nurse’s office also with a consent form signed.
- It is the parent responsibility to monitor medication supply and provide additional medication when needed.
At the end of each school year all remaining medications need to be picked up by the last day of school by parent/guardian, which should be designated on consent form. All medication designated to be destroyed on consent form and all remaining medication not picked up by an adult will be destroyed. The Nurse will contact you to make pick up arrangements.
If these district wide rules are not followed your child/student may be subject to Drug Paraphernalia Possession consequences.
Parents please feel free to bring in “as needed” medications, such as cough drops and Tylenol, to keep on hand for your child if you so desire.
Permission Consent Form, Doctors Order Forms are available for you to print. Please fill out completely, sign and date. When completed please give to the Nurse with said medication.