Welcome to the 2022-2023 school year! We are excited for a fun year of learning! Please see your child's teacher's page for specific information.
What your child will learn in 2nd Grade
- Gain deeper understanding of reading comprehension.
- Analyze text to find answers to questions.
- Read with fluency - the end of the year goal is 100 words per minute.
- Genre studies - read varying texts for varying purposes.
- Write a complete sentence with proper punctuation and capitalization.
- Write a paragraph with a topic sentence and supporting details.
- Write for different purposes: informational writing, persuasive writing and narrative writing.
- Present written work to an audience.
- Add and subtract within 1000 with and without regrouping.
- Work with time and money.
- Understand place value.
- Measure to the nearest inch and centimeter.
- Reason with shapes and their attributes.
- Discover three types of matter.
- Explore the earth and sky.
- Understand how weather affects our lives.
Social Studies -
- Explore the community around us.
- Discover the importance of shared power and the three branches of government
- Describe the influence of history makers throughout our country
- Understand basic economic principles including needs, wants, spending and saving
Please click here for curriculum videos