About the Health Center:
Medical care provided by the school nurse is primarily for illnesses and injuries that occur at school throughout the school day; however, the nurse is qualified to collaborate with you and your child's physician to help provide a learning environment that fits your child's health and safety needs. The nurse does not diagnose medical conditions or illnesses nor does the nurse prescribe medications; however, medications and/or treatments prescribed by a physician may be given by the school nurse in the Gavilan Peak health office.
Keep your child home if they have…
- Fever 100.0 or higher (Children must be fever-free without the use of fever reducing medications for 24 hours before returning to school).
- Vomited in the last 24 hours
- Diarrhea in the last 24 hours
- Red, watery eyes, with or without yellow or green discharge
- Frequent sneezing, runny nose, or coughing
- Unexplained rash
- Headache or migraine
- Facial swelling
- Flushed face or paleness
- Sore throat or signs of strep throat
- Painful earache
- Any infection requiring antibiotics (children must have been taking antibiotics for A FULL 24 hours before returning to school)
*When in doubt of whether or not to send your child to school, consult your family physician.
Notification of Illness/Injury:
As a general rule, the nurse will contact you for moderate to serious injuries and/or illnesses, especially those that require the child to go home or seek further attention. It is the parent’s responsibility to make arrangements to pick up an ill or injured child as promptly as possible. Children are not permitted to walk home after an illness or injury, even with a parent/guardian's permission.
Minor injuries and illnesses will be managed on site in order to prevent the loss of valuable instruction time; however, if you have concerns and want to be notified more frequently about your child's health, please let the nurse know. Every family is different, and children...even more so! YOU are your child's expert! Please feel free to reach out to the nurse with your questions or concerns. The nurse is available by phone (623) 445-7410 or via email firstname.lastname@example.org
ALL students who are signed out due to illness or injury MUST see the school nurse before leaving campus.