Welcome to the Deer Valley Unified School District Mandarin Immersion Program at Gavilan Peak
The Mission of the Mandarin Program in the Deer Valley Unified School District in Phoenix, Arizona, is to create a world class, fully articulated Mandarin language curriculum from Pre-Kindergarten to the University which will enhance the future success of students in a global and technologically advanced society.
The Mandarin Program and Its Goals
The U.S. government has instituted multiple efforts to dramatically expand the number of Americans studying and mastering critical need foreign languages. Critical need languages are languages that have increased importance due to national priorities and are not adequately taught in the public school system. Because of Asia’s growing economic importance, Mandarin has been identified as a critical need language. To address needs, the Mandarin Immersion Program is founded on the following goals:
- Provide Mandarin as a critical language opportunity for all students and to build proficiency in acquiring advanced proficiency
- Establish an immersion setting, connections and appreciation to Mandarin speaking cultures
- Provide excellent instruction and curriculum
- Prepare students to be responsible citizens and leaders in a globalized world
- Develop students' critical thinking and problem solving skills
- To increase student’s capacity for learning and academic achievement.