K-3 CIA Literacy Coaches
K-3 CIA Literacy Coaches partner with schools to provide comprehensive services aimed at achieving sustainable improvement in literacy with teachers in grades K-3. The K-3 CIA Literacy Coaches work in direct collaboration with the K-5 Literacy CIAS to provide consistency and alignment with the deployment of DVUSD adopted curriculum, instructional practices, and assessment.
K-3 CIA Literacy Coaches support in the big 5 components of literacy: phonemic awareness, phonics, fluency, comprehension, and vocabulary. Literacy support is provided with district adopted assessments and curriculum.
Teacher support is provided with assessment to drive instruction, including:
- DIBELS (Dynamic Indicators of Basic Early Literacy Skills): This screener will be given to all students K-3 to determine students’ need for support. This assessment provides data in the following areas: phonemic awareness, alphabetic principle, basic phonics, advanced phonics, word attack skills, accurate and fluent reading of connected text, and reading comprehension.
- PSI (Phonics Screener for Intervention): This screener is currently given to all students who have an intensive need for support on DIBELS. It will assess students in 15 phonics areas (including letter names and sounds, blends, digraphs, and decoding of syllable types) plus sight words.
- PASI (Phonological Awareness Screener for Intervention): This screener will help to identify phonological skills (including: blending, segmentation, identification, categorization, manipulation, and isolation) that have been mastered and those that need support.
- QSI (Qualitative Spelling Inventories from Words their Way): There are numerous spelling inventories to assess all grade levels K-5. They are the Kindergarten Spelling Inventory (KSI) used in kindergarten, the Primary Spelling Inventory (PSI) used in K-2, the Elementary Spelling Inventory (ESI) used in 3-5, and the Upper-Level Spelling Inventory (ESI) used in 4-5. Students will spell words with certain spelling features to determine which developmental spelling level they are at.
- DRA2 (Developmental Reading Assessment): This diagnostic assessment will provide both an instructional and independent level for each reader. Depending on the level, the assessment will include: reading engagement, oral reading fluency, and comprehension. In addition, a thorough and supportive teacher analysis component is provided that supports utilizing data to drive instruction.
K-3 CIA Literacy coaches directly support the deployment of a guaranteed and viable curriculum through Tier 1 instruction. Tier 1 instruction includes both whole group and small group instruction. Coaching support focuses on high yield instructional strategies from the most current research in order to have the greatest impact on student learning. The curriculum supported includes:
- Write From the Beginning and Beyond is the district adopted writing program. It is developmental and used in classrooms K-5. The program utilizes Thinking Maps to plan for both narrative and expository writing.
- Reading Street is the district adopted reading curriculum for students K-5. It includes resources for the Big 5 (phonemic awareness, phonics, vocabulary, fluency, and comprehension).
- Words Their Way is the district adopted words study program (spelling). It is used in classrooms K-5. Students engage in sorts and notice patterns and note generalizations about language, allowing them to transfer the learning to their reading and writing.
- Capit is an instructional tool being used in kindergarten classrooms that advances students through phonics concepts (starting with letter sounds). Students must show mastery to move to a new skill.
Support is also provided for Tier 2 Instruction, including:
- Data analysis to identify specific need, materials, and strategies to meet the needs of the students.
- Explicit Modeling and/or co-teaching of materials and strategies
K-3 CIA Literacy Coaches’ support can come in various forms, including:
- Lesson planning
- Reflection of instructional practices
- Data analysis
- Deployment of professional development
- Support of small group instruction implementation in both Tier 1 and Tier 2
K-3 CIA Literacy Coach Contact Information:
All coaches can be contacted by phone (voicemail only) at 623-445-4945. Select the coach you are calling and leave a message. Voicemail is checked throughout the week.
Click name to send an email.