• Do dual enrollment credits transfer to universities?

    Rio Salado College dual enrollment credits transfer to all Arizona public colleges and universities. Most colleges and university accept dual enrollment. Students transferring out of state are encouraged to check with the post-secondary institution for transferability before enrolling. Students can request transcripts be sent to their college/university by ordering from the transcript team here.


    Who is eligible to take dual enrollment courses?

    Dual enrollment students must meet college admission requirements and the prerequisite criteria for the course. 


    How are dual and concurrent enrollment different?

    Dual enrollment classes meet at the high school during the regular high school day and are taught by college-certified high school instructors using a college curriculum and text. The high school agrees to accept these college courses toward a student's high school completion.

    Concurrent enrollment classes meet at a college site or online and are not affiliated with the high school. Students interested in concurrent enrollment must submit a special admission form. Students need prior approval from their high school counselor or administration if they want these college courses to help satisfy high school requirements.


    What are the tuition and fees for dual enrollment?

    Dual enrollment students pay the same tuition rate assessed for all Maricopa Community College courses. This is a significant savings over private and out-of-state colleges, and about one-third the cost of comparable in-state university courses. Current tuition rates are $85 per credit hour plus a $15 semester registration fee. As an additional savings, dual students do not have to purchase textbooks or pay lab fees because these materials are usually provided by the high school.


    Is there any tuition assistance available?

    Tuition assistance is available for students based on financial need. Funding is limited and awarded on a first-come, first-served basis, so applicants are encouraged to apply early. Applications are available in Spring for the following fall.


    What is the deadline to submit my application for Tuition Assistance?

    The priority deadline to submit your completed Tuition Assistance application is May 31, 2021. Please note that all applications are reviewed on a first-come, first-serve basis and there is no guarantee of funding. We recommend that you submit your application as soon as possible, and register for your dual enrollment classes during your first week of high school, but no later than August 20, 2021.

    When will I know if I've been approved for Tuition Assistance?

    You should receive a decision by email within 3-5 business days. If you are approved for Tuition Assistance, you must be enrolled in Fall 2021 and Spring 2022 classes no later than August 21, 2021. Communication is being sent to your Maricopa email address, be sure to check this email inbox for information regarding your tuition assistance.

    What are the income guidelines to be eligible for Tuition Assistance?

    The MARICOPA Grant Program is offered to eligible Arizona high school students attending Maricopa Community College in Dual Enrollment Programs.

    Student Recipient must demonstrate "Financial need" by completing the Maricopa Grant Application for Dual Enrollment Students and providing documentation of household income using the most recent year's signed income tax return or copy of Tax Return Transcript from the parent or guardians. Financial need will be indicated if household income falls below 200% of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Poverty Guidelines.

    U.S. Department of Health and Human Services 2021 Poverty Guidelines Financial Need Indicated at 200% Guideline

    Persons in Family Poverty Guideline 200%
    1 $12,880 $25,760
    2 $17,420 $34,840
    3 $21,960 $43,920
    4 $26,500 $53,000
    5 $31,040 $62,080
    6 $35,580 $71,160
    7 $40,120 $80,240
    8 $44,660 $89,320
    For families/households with more than 8 persons, add $4,540 for each additional person.

    How many credits may I enroll in? Can I enroll in more than 9 credits?

    Tuition Assistance covers up to 9 credits. You may enroll in more credits; however, you will be responsible to pay the difference for additional credits. Payments can be made online directly through your Student Center or by contacting our cashier’s office at 480-517-8330.

    Is there a GPA or academic requirement to reapply for Tuition Assistance each year?

    There is no minimum academic requirement to reapply for Tuition Assistance; however, you must earn a C or better in your courses in order to receive college credit and successfully apply earned credits to your college degree program.