DVUSD Food & Nutrition is Nourishing DVUSD Minds
The mission of Deer Valley Food and Nutrition department is to provide safe and nutritious meals that are both convenient and affordable. The pandemic provided a unique opportunity to serve with our community in new ways and provide meals
utilizing our creativity, ingenuity, and love for what we do. We added meal delivery and curbside pick-up at 44 locations for children in our community, regardlessif they were DVUSD students. Our meals meet strict nutritional guidelines, including a variety of fruits and vegetables, whole grain-rich products, low-fat and fat-free milk and dairy products.
Providing foods that meet these standards as well as our student’s preferences is a rewarding challenge. One of our nutrient packed, quick-fix recipes that can be made at home is our Orange Delight Blenderless Smoothie.
Orange Delight Blenderless Smoothie
Ingredients:• 1 cup applesauce, unsweetened, chilled
• 1 cup orange juice, 100%, chilled
• 2 cups vanilla yogurt, lowfat
1. Pre-chill applesauce (fruit puree) and juice several hours or overnight.
2. Stir applesauce, juice and yogurt together in a large mixing bowl until smooth.
3. Portion 8 ounces into serving cups.
4. Served chilled. Smoothies may be refrigerated overnight.Tips and Ideas:
• Create variations using different juice and yogurt flavors, or other pureed fruits
• Add in various extracts or spices, for example vanilla and cinnamon.
• Boost the protein content with Greek yogurt