Welcome to 8th grade mathSupply list for 2019-2020 year (includes the 7th graders taking 8th grade math)
- pencils and erasers
- pens and highlighters
- glue sticks
- index cards
- math notebook for taking notes (spiral, composition, or binder)
- $15-$25 calculator (I suggest purchasing the TI-30 or TI-36) Click here to purchase one from Amazon
- at least 2 packages of loose-leaf graph paper (leave one package at home to use as needed)
- at least 2 packages of loose-leaf notebook paper (leave one package at home to use as needed)
Math Class Donations of Supplies we need please
CommunicationEmail is the quickest way to reach me: email@example.comText Blasts for 2019-2020For 8th grade math, text: @msclarkson to the number: 81010To access the math curriculum online:Illustrative Math: https://im.openupresources.org/8/students/index.htmlBig Ideas Math: https://www.bigideasmath.com/BIM/loginDirections to access Big Ideas Math book, click hereArizona State Standards for 8th grade mathclick the link : 8th grade math standards for ArizonaDream Box for additional helpStudents should be working on Dream Box per week for 60-90 minutes and should complete 7-8 lessons each week to see growthOther Website Resources for math help for both 8th grade math and Algebrawww.khanacademy.org: Search for the topic you need help with and it will give you short videos that give you example problems. You can also set up an account and take a 10-question pretest to assess your level. It will build you lessons on what you need work on. Includes math from basic counting kindergarten work up through calculus.www.learnzillion.com: Search for the topic and click "video lessons" and you can watch short videos that give you example problems and show the work on how to do the problem.www.ixl.com: practice questions from kinder through precalculusMath SyllabusTest Retakes
- 2 packages of loose-leaf paper
- 1 package of graph paper
- box of tissues
- Only allowed on chapter tests, not on quizzes
- If a student earns less than 70% on a chapter test, they may retake a new test over the material (one retake per test)
- First, student will need to show Ms Clarkson all the COMPLETED (with all work showing) classwork, homework, bell work, and exit tickets from the chapter.
- After showing your completed work to Ms Clarkson, she will give you a form that you need to get signed by your parents explaining what you are going to do to prepare for the retake.
- If the student needs additional tutoring, they can come in Tuesday mornings from 8:00-8:30am or Wednesdays afternoons from 3:30-4:00pm for help.
- Finally, the student will choose a date to come in for the retake. This can be before school, during lunch, or after school.
- The retake has to be completed by the end of the quarter.
- The higher of the two tests will be the grade that is entered into the gradebook.
Tuesday mornings from 8:00-8:30am and Wednesdays after school from 3:30-4:00pm. Students need to bring work they need help on during tutoring time or questions they need additional help with.Class notesLesson Plans & Homework for the Week of: August 19(subject to change)MONDAY:8th grade math: Lesson 1.4 Sequence of transformationsHomework: page 7 & 8 in the homework packetTUESDAY:8th grade math: finish 1.4 sequence of transformationsHomework: page 9 & 10 in homework packetWEDNESDAY:8th grade math: Lesson 1.5 DilationsHomework: page 11 in homework packetTHURSDAY:8th grade math: Quiz over lessons 1.1 to 1.4 OPEN NOTE