Ceramics this year will infuse art production, art history, art criticism and aesthetic critiques, as well as introduces the basic Elements and Principles of art and Design related to ceramic work and production.
This course is designed to provide students with the opportunity to develop art creation skills and broaden their range of experiences in ceramic clay construction through hand building.
Lessons are also linked to ELA common core standards and have reading and writing components embedded in the curriculum.
Ceramics Classroom Behavior Expectations and Norms:
- No student will be allowed to disrupt the education of another student which includes disrupting teacher during instruction. Students must sit in assigned seats, may be marked absent, and no talking during teacher instruction.
- Be on time, students must be in the room before the final bell rings. Late students will be marked Tardy!
- Personal belongings, Electronic devices and Earbuds, except class supplies and clay are to be stored underneath student’s desks or in lockers. No purses, big binders, cell phones are not allowed on the desks. You are responsible for all personal Items and devices. Devices or Earbuds being used, without teacher permission will be confiscated then returned once a cleanup job has been given by teacher and completed by student, it may be returned at end of class time or end of day if issue continues!
- Misuse of clay in classroom (throwing, stealing, damage or breaking etc…) can result in a written assignment in place of clay project, extra cleanup duty, rebuilding of project and/or immediate referral or removal.
- Handle all clay tools with safety, they are dangerous. Damage, misuse, stealing will not be tolerated. Items will be replaced at students’ expense and result in loss of tool privileges, immediate referral or removal.
- Near end of class (last 10 min.), document your daily work with photo, cleanup your work area then stay in assigned seat until teacher dismissal of table group. Extra duties will be assigned for classroom cleanup as scheduled by teacher. Return all supplies clean and in good condition. Leave table tools at table, other supplies back to their location! Students will be dismissed at the end of class by teacher after table cleanup checked NO lining up at class doors!
- All artwork pertaining to violence, drugs, and lewdness contrary to school policy is forbidden and will be brought to administration for consequences.
- Bathroom breaks will not be permitted the first 15 min. of class or the last 15 min. of class and only for emergencies. Students are required to use their IPAD electronic pass. There are 6 bathroom passes granted per semester or 3 per quarter. Leaving class or seat without permission will result in absence.
- Always use appropriate, respectful behavior, conduct, and language, in the classroom at all times.
- Outside schoolwork/homework is not allowed out in the ceramics room without teacher’s permission.
- All gaming or inappropriate use on electronic devices, food or drinks (except water bottles) are prohibited in the classroom and will result in confiscation and /or after class or school cleanup duties. Phones must be put away!
- Have notebooks, charged IPADS and supplies daily, work hard and treat substitute teachers with same respect as teacher, all regular classroom rules apply for subs.
*All school handbook, district rules and ARS Laws will apply.
Supplies, Clay, and Canvas assignments: Please have all supplies listed in syllabus. Assignments will be graded during classroom session or turned in as an assignment on Canvas. All assignments will be published on Canvas. Clay will be distributed in the classroom.
- Standard No.2 Pencils and Pens (required daily) with erasers
- Notebook or Sketchbook 9x12 spiral bound (Ceramics only, not shared with other course)
- Old Shirt or Apron (Your clothes will get dirty without one)
- Ceramic Tool Kit (8 piece set or larger for ceramic clay)
- Paint Brushes Set (Variety of rounds and flats for glazing ceramics)
- Black Sharpie
- Color Pencil Set (minimum 12 color set) and Marker set Minimum (8-12 count)
- I-Pads (charged each day for class learning, research, quizzes, notes)
- Various items will be found/made at home or purchased as needed based on assignments.
Supplies may be purchase on Amazon, Michaels, JoAnns, Hobby Lobby, Walmart or any store that works. We will discuss supplies the first few days of class