Welcome to DVUSD Pathways!
English Language Arts 3/4
ABOUT YOUR COURSE
Course Description: This course is a thematic approach to both classical and modern world literature. By incorporating both perspectives, students will not only develop an understanding of the individual within the world, but will also explore relevant, contemporary thematic links. Throughout the course, students will be provided with a myriad of opportunities to understand, evaluate, and clearly communicate ideas through reading, writing, speaking, and listening. This course offers expanded opportunities to use 21st century skills to enhance the learning experience and enhance course themes. This course is aligned with Arizona English Language Arts Standards and supports school-wide efforts to increase student achievement.
Course Objectives: By the time the student completes this course of study, the student will be able to:
- Cite strong and thorough textual evidence to support analysis of what the text says explicitly as well as inferences drawn from the text.
- Determine a central idea of a text and analyze its development over the course of the text, including how it emerges and is shaped and refined by specific details; provide an objective summary of the text.
- Write arguments to support claims in an analysis of substantive topics or texts, using valid reasoning and relevant and sufficient evidence.
- Write informative/explanatory texts to examine and convey complex ideas, concepts, and information clearly and accurately through the effective selection, organization, and analysis of content.
Novels/Plays Being Read and Discussed in Class:
- Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Alborn
- Lord of the Flies by William Golding
- The Tragedy of Macbeth by William Shakespeare
Refer to the Course Calendar below for topics, assignments, and due dates.
HOW TO GET STARTED
Arrive promptly at 3:45 pm at the Barry Goldwater High School campus. We dismiss promptly at 7:15 pm. Monday - Friday beginning May 31st. This course is in-person only.
Login to Canvas online or with the Canvas app (iOs/Android).
Parents can also login to Canvas to observe classes and student progress. Parents even have their very own app: Canvas Parent.
TIPS FOR SUCCESS
Arrive with a good attitude. Ensure that your device is fully charged. Be prepared to work on assignments without the distraction of your cellphone and participate!
Find out more about DVUSD Technology. Still need TECH Support? Click Here
Click HERE to access your grades in Powerschools.
Students: send messages via Canvas In Box