Union Park School will offer a Spanish immersion program beginning in Kindergarten and 1st grade in 2020-21.
Welcome to the Deer Valley Unified School District’s Spanish Immersion Program
The Mission of the Spanish Immersion Program in the Deer Valley Unified School District in Phoenix, Arizona, is to create a world class, fully articulated Spanish language curriculum from Kindergarten to the University which will enhance the future success of students in a global and technologically advanced society.
The Spanish Immersion Program and Its Goals
The DVUSD Spanish Immersion program provides extraordinary language and culture opportunities with instruction in Spanish for students to gain Advanced proficiency in Spanish, along with English. Subject area instruction, along with instruction in Spanish, occurs for at least 50% of the school day in the target language during the elementary school years. Kindergarten and first grade students will be immersed in Spanish instruction for 50% of the school day to build a strong foundation in Spanish, increasing opportunities for higher levels of bilingualism.
- Build students’ proficiency in Spanish language to acquire Advanced- Superior proficiency
- Establish an immersion setting and connections to Spanish-Speaking cultures
- Provide excellent instruction and curriculum
- Prepare students to be responsible citizens and leaders in a globalized world
- Foster students’ life-long learning of cultures and languages
- Develop students’ critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Work collaboratively to establish an extraordinary program
Why Spanish Immersion?
American Council of Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL) Anticipated Outcomes Table (below) illustrates potential performance levels based on when students enter the study of language by grade-level.
For more information about the benefits of language learning, visit the ACTFL research page at actfl.org/advocacy/what-the-research-shows.