Renaissance Highly Gifted Academies provide an all-day self-contained learning experience addressing the individual needs of gifted students. Students acquire a solid foundation in the content areas of mathematics, language and communication arts, social studies, science, and technology literacy. Students work at advanced levels within these content areas at an accelerated pace. Learning opportunities include engagement in higher order and critical thinking skills; broadened musical exposure and performance (at our Highland Lakes program); more in-depth STEM projects and activities (at our Canyon Springs program); personal development and responsibility; and community and peer involvement.DVUSD offers this opportunity at two of our campuses. Please visit the schools' websites for specific information about each campus.The RenaissanceHighly Gifted & Music Academy at Highland Lakes focus on highly gifted learners.&Our signature music program supports those who have a passion for developing diverse musical talents.Serving grades 1st - 8thThe RenaissanceHighly Gifted & STEM Academy at Canyon Springs focus on highly gifted learners.&Our signature STEM program supports those who have a passion for the areas of Science, Technology, Engineering & Math.Serving grades 1st - 8th
(Tour power points are also posted on this page)Qualifying Gifted Identification ScoresArea Scores: All 3 scores (Verbal, Quantitative, Non‐Verbal) are at the 90th percentile or higher with a total of 280 percentile points or greater combined.~OR~Qualifying I.Q. Score: 132 or higher
The following information applies to both campuses.
Qualified students are those who have met the published eligibility requirements, and who have applied and been accepted to attend the Renaissance Highly Gifted Academies. In this learning community of supportive and collaborative peers, students are expected to take responsibility and ownership for their academic achievement and personal growth framed by their strengths and interests.
The Renaissance Highly Gifted Academies focus on gifted learners’ needs and interests. Learning opportunities focus on mastery; higher order and critical thinking skills; community engagement; personal development and responsibility.In our self-contained gifted classrooms, we…
- have the opportunity to differentiate the curriculum
- move along the learning continuum as quickly and appropriately as possible
- design instruction through assessments and teach the “whole” child
- know that quality learning takes time but realizes superior results
The Highly Gifted Renaissance Academy curriculum is specifically designed to respond to gifted learners’ characteristics of precocity, intensity and complexity. Acceleration of basic content experiences, inquiry as a fundamental tool for encouraging learning, use of open-ended activities and questions that encourage further exploration, development of creative products to stimulate use of higher level thinking and problem-solving processes and extensions to pique interest around substantive content.
Renaissance Academy Goals
Our academic goals for students:
- Acquire a solid foundation in the content areas of mathematics, language and communication arts, social studies, and science.
- Work at an advanced level within these content areas.
- Produce work within these areas that reflects individuality and creativity at a level that is advanced in relationship to other students of the same grade.
- Use technology as a productivity, creativity, communication and collaboration tool. (International Society for Technology in Education Standards)
Our cognitive and affective goals for students:
- Problem solve; think creatively, critically and logically; and make connections between ideas.
- Acquire the knowledge and skills of learning and organizing.
- Acquire advanced research skills to gather, analyze, and apply information and ideas.
- Acquire the knowledge and skills to communicate effectively both within and beyond the classroom.
- Acquire the knowledge and skills to make decisions and act as a responsible member of a community.
Is Renaissance The Best Fit For My Child?
Students who tend to be the most successful in our Renaissance Academies tend to be:
Intense and inquisitive learners
- Analytical thinkers
- Creative problem-solvers
- Highly motivated
Parents also need to provide their own transportation if they do not live within the individual school's boundaries.
2016-17 Handbook(PDF)(This will be updated in the 2020-21 school year)
Grade Level Content Acceleration & Enrichment
Bright Child Kindegarten- Grade level with enrichment with extensions as needed
Grades 1&2- ELA, Science, Social Studies - At grade level with enrichment and extensions as needed- Math - One grade above (blended with at grade level concepts as needed to transition)
Grades 3-7- ELA and Math - One grade above (Math could be more depending on individual student needs)- Social Studies & Science - At grade level with enrichment
Grade 8- 9th Grade Honors ELA- High School Math (whatever level needed)- 8th Grade Social Studies & ScienceAll High School courses are for high school credit.
Canyon Springs- Grade K-5 - Weekly Spanish Enrichment/Specials Classes- Grades 6-8 - Optional High School Spanish CoursesHighland Lakes- Grade K-6 - Weekly Spanish Enrichment/Specials Classes- Grades 7-8 - Optional High School Spanish Courses