Class Description: This class emphasizes the fundamental language skills of reading, writing, speaking, listening, thinking, viewing and presenting. An emphasis on vocabulary and grammatical sophistication will be an on-going part of the curriculum. We will be studying various literary genres: short story, poetry, novel, drama, and non-fiction. The development of critical reading and writing skills is a major emphasis of the class.
By the end of 7th Grade English Language Arts you will:
- improve and expand your vocabulary
- understand and identify the eight parts of speech
- parse and create a simple, compound, and complex sentence
- write an organized and developed answer (20-30 words) in response to a question.
- write a 500-750+ word essay with citations in MLA format
- have strategies for expanding your writing
- memorize, identify and employ 40 elements of literature terms
- recognize, recite, and create several forms of poetry
- read at least 4 novels
- read a variety of genres and diverse cultural texts
- identify the reliability of the author on a variety of texts