Newly updated as of July 18th, 2023
Welcome to the Norterra Canyon home page for athletics. As the 23-24 school year progresses, this page will be updated…and in most cases you’ll probably be able to go to individual pages for each sport.
This page is primarily a sports overview regarding information that is relevant to most sports, and focuses on any changes for the 23-24 sports year.
This year, we are once again in our new sports division (referred to as 1A), and we share this division with 6 other schools…Sunset Ridge, Union Park, Paseo Hills, Canyon Springs, Anthem, and Desert Mountain.
The order of the sports during the year is as follows...
Baseball and softball are our Fall sports (tryouts will be approx. the week of Aug. 14th), Winter sports will be boys/girls volleyball and cross country (tryouts will be approx. the week of Oct. 31st), and Spring sports will be boys/girls basketball and cheer (tryouts will be approx. the week of Jan. 30th)
Our coaching lineup...
We're having some notable changes to our coaching staff, and many of them are still in process.
It can be confirmed that Baseball will once again be helmed by Ron Roach, Cheer will be coached by Stacy Mahoney, Cross Country will be led by Jill Barron, and Girls Basketball will once again be orchestrated by Tony Cosmano.
All other sports will have a coach identified shortly, and that information will be pushed out (and posted on this page) as soon as possible.
Practices and tryouts :
- Practices are typically every Mon – Thur from 3:10 to 4:45 (except for game days of course).
- All 6th, 7th, and 8th graders are eligible for all 8 sports...but roster spots are reserved for 7th and 8th graders initially. NC allows for the potential use of 6th graders if and when a full and effective team cannot be fielded using only 7th and 8th graders.
- Tryout dates will always be pushed out in various formats, and are typically Mondays and Tuesdays from 3:10 to roughly 4:45. Athletes are required to have a current (less than 1 calendar year old) physical in order to attend tryouts.
- All 5th graders are eligible for the no-cut sport of cross country, and some 5th grade girls may be eligible to try out for cheer.
- Games will usually start around 4:30.
- For now, all away games will most likely be parent drop-off…since bus transportation to most after school activities has become very hard to schedule.
- Your athlete can bring an individual post-school snack, but the cafeteria may be planning on providing post-school snacks for athletes. There are also often parents of players who will offer to provide snacks for certain individual sporting events.
- Most schools (including Norterra Canyon) will charge a small $4 fee to attend their indoor sports, like volleyball and basketball.
- Grades are checked weekly by the Athletic Office to ensure academic eligibility.
- Student-Athletes who do not meet eligibility requirements by the end of the week (Friday @ 3pm) are disqualified from all inter-school competition for the following week.
- Parents are encouraged to track their child’s academic progress.
- If a physical and/or athletic fee is still missing once the season officially starts, the student will have to forego game participation.
Some rules for speaking with coaches…
- Coaches have 24 hours to process the results of a game and then initiate communication with their players (DVUSD policy)
- Please consider how you interact with a coach outside of the campus footprint (common courtesy).
As with any sport, students need to have a current physical on file in order to tryout.