Physical Education 2016-2017
Grades: K - 8th
Discipline and Grading CriteriaCoach Lucas Coach Thirsk
The Physical Education teachers would like to welcome you and your child to Sunset Ridge Elementary School. We are very excited to have the students be part of our program. To maintain a quality Physical Education program, we would like to review with you our program guidelines. Please take extra time to read through the following information with your child.
In our daily lessons, the students are offered an opportunity to develop an acceptable level of health and fitness. They will learn a broad spectrum of physical skills, and gain knowledge necessary to use the skills in maintaining fitness for a lifetime. We encourage partner and group activities, as well as individual reflection to improve three levels of wellness: social, physical, and mental development.
In order to maintain a safe environment and a teachable climate, we utilize the following discipline and grading criteria.
- Students are expected to responsibly listen and follow directions.
- Respect other people, their feelings, and their personal space.
- Maintain a safe environment for everyone.
- Use equipment properly.
- Use appropriate language.
- Use restrooms and drinking fountains before and after class, or with teacher permission.
- Students are expected to hustle, display effort, show good sportsmanship and a positive attitude.
- Students will wear appropriate athletic shoes, tied properly, and proper clothing for activity.
- Participate in class by DOING YOUR BEST!
IF A STUDENT DOES NOT WEAR APPROPRIATE SHOES AND CLOTHES THEY WILL NOT BE ABLE TO PARTICIPATE. WITH REPEATED OFFENSE, A STUDENT’S GRADE MAY BE AFFECTED. REMEMBER,THIS IS A SAFETY ISSUE.
- Warning given to student
- Student will conference with us and sit out with an opportunity to return to the activity.
- Student will sit out the remainder of class and write a report. Before the end of class the student will verbally communicate to us about how to make better choices.
- Parent contact will be made.
- Referral to the office.
*Depending on the seriousness of the offense, some steps may be skipped at the discretion of the teacher.
Clothing: Each student is responsible for wearing appropriate clothes for activities.
- Shoes – athletic shoes only!...Skater shoes are not recommended! (No crocs, boots, sandals, dress shoes, thick soles, and ABSOLUTELY NO FLIP FLOPS!)
- Socks are required which will also help prevent blisters.
- Shorts, loose pants, t-shirts, and shorts underneath any dress/skirt.
- Jackets, sweatshirts, sweaters, or long sleeve shirts should be available if the weather gets cold.
Physical Education Excuses: If a student is not to participate the following must be done:
- A note excusing your child from Physical Education class must be brought to the nurse or PE teacher, preferably before class. Please indicate specifically what activity your child should be excused from and why - i.e. No running.
- Any child with a health problem that requires an excuse for longer than a week will be expected to have a note from a doctor. There may be written work related to the activity for missed days.
All students begin each new grading quarter with an E in Performance (effort) and an E in Citizenship (behavior). The students are then required to meet the expectations and rules listed above to maintain those grades. Our students understand that their behavior and attitude are the main factors for their grades.
Physical Education Grading Scale
Performance (effort) / Citizenship (behavior)
N/N Needs Improvement
Our goal as a staff is to help communicate to parents any concerns about your child. To achieve this goal, we are asking you, as a parent, to please contact our department first if you have any issues or concerns. This will help answer any questions you may have about your child and will help solve the issue more quickly.
We will make every effort to return your message within 24 hours except on Fridays, we will follow up within the 24 hours of the next school day. We are very excited to start this school year and as a team; student, parent/guardian and teacher, we will achieve success!
We are looking forward to working with your child in a safe and exciting Physical Education program. If you have any questions or need to contact us, please don’t hesitate to call or email. Remember, a child is not fully educated until he/she is physically educated!
Have a great year!
Arizona Physical Education State Standards: http://www.azed.gov/standards-practices/physical-education-standards/
Standard 1. The physically literate individual demonstrates competency in a variety of motor skills and movement patterns.
Standard 2. The physically literate individual applies knowledge of concepts, principles, strategies and tactics related to movement and performance.
Standard 3. The physically literate individual demonstrates the knowledge and skills to achieve and maintain a health-enhancing level of physical activity and fitness.
Standard 4. The physically literate individual exhibits responsible personal and social behavior that respects self and others.
Standard 5. The physically literate individual recognizes the value of physical activity for health, enjoyment, challenge, self-expression and/or social interactioThis year we have created a Sunset Ridge Physical Education Department Facebook Page. This is a private group for our parents and coaches. Once approved we will work on posting information pertaining to the PE department including important updates and upcoming events.
You may also visit our PE website for updated information: