Early Entry Kindergarten
EARLY ENTRANCE INTO KINDERGARTEN
(KINDERGARTEN READINESS TESTING)
BEGINS APRIL 2018
Children who are 5 years old by August 31, 2018 are eligible to enroll in kindergarten. However, children who turn 5 between September 1 and December 31, 2018 may be assessed to determine readiness for early entrance into kindergarten.
The intent of early entrance is to identify highly capable children who miss the regular September 1st cutoff for kindergarten entrance. Early entry is specifically geared for children whose curriculum achievement level far exceeds the norm. In order to be considered for the early entrance exception, the child must exhibit advanced skills in language arts, mathematics, and in social, emotional, and motor development as measured by tests administered by the Deer Valley Unified School District.
All kindergarten readiness testing registration is completed online beginning February 20, 2018. The testing dates for early entrance into kindergarten are indicated below. A $75 non-refundable testing fee is due at the time of registration. Your testing date will be assigned after submitting required documentation.Testing dates are:
- April 20 (Friday) FULL
- June 1 (Friday) FULL
- July 9 (Monday) FULL
- July 23 (Monday) FULL
Testing will take place at the DVUSD District Office, 20402 N. 15th Avenue, Phoenix, Arizona 85027. Please allow 1 ½ hours for the testing. The testing is individually administered by early education teachers. Due to FERPA laws, the results of the test CANNOT be released via phone. Test results will be e-mailed within two weeks of the test date. All results are final. Parents can then enroll their child into kindergarten by presenting the acceptance letter, stating the student has passed the Kindergarten Readiness Test to the home school registrar. Your testing date will be assigned after submitting required documentation.
No age-exceptions will be granted after the start of the first day of the school year, unless unique circumstances exist with children transferring from another school, state or country. In these unique circumstances, all rules and procedures described above will be followed. No screenings from other schools will be accepted.
Before & After School Care Program
Early entry kindergarten students may enroll for the Before & After School Care Program once they have reached their 5th birthday.
Kindergarten Screening Information:
In order for children to qualify for early entrance into our kindergarten program, students must be able to demonstrate the following basic skills. (Please note that the list below describes general concepts that are tested during kindergarten readiness testing.) Due to the testing being a secure document, we are unable to list every test concept or question.Social and Emotional Skills
- Communicate clearly and answer questions in complete sentences
- Separate easily from parents/caregivers without getting upset
- Interact appropriately with adults
- Follow simple instructions with 2 to 3 step directions
- Know personal information (name, age, gender)
- Pay attention to a single task for an extended period of time
Fine/Gross Motor Skills
- Identify upper and lowercase letters
- Count to 20 and identify numbers
- Basic Math skills
- Identify colors
- Identify shapes
- Write his/her own name
- Basic Literacy skills
- Express ideas and thoughts verbally
- Use proper grip while using pencil, crayons, and scissors
- Cut with scissors
In addition to the test results, the following key indicators will be considered along with identified pertinent information when making the decision regarding early entrance to kindergarten:
- Early entrance into kindergarten is intended for children who excel in meeting the kindergarten readiness standards and are capable of working in a classroom setting with children who are up to 13 months older.
- The needs of the whole child should be considered including social/emotional and physical factors as well as cognitive.
- A child should exhibit a level of intellectual, physical, social, and emotional maturity that is commensurate with that of children who are up to 13 months older.
Schedule Your Child for Testing
- Complete test registration application at www.dvusd.org/communityed/register and pay the non-refundable $75 registration fee
- Bring original birth certificate and a paper copy of your receipt to the DVUSD District Office, 20402 N. 15th Ave., Phoenix, Arizona 85027 between the hours of 8:00 am – 4:30 pm Monday through Friday
- Your assigned testing date will be emailed to you via a new receipt. Test dates will be assigned on a first come first serve basis
For additional questions regarding registration, contact our Community Education office at (623) 445-5017 or (623) 445-4985
Thirty Day Classroom Observation Period
If your student meets the kindergarten readiness criteria for placement, an additional kindergarten skills testing will be administered with no fee to all kindergartners prior to the start of the school year. The skills testing is scheduled by your student's home school. Please be aware that the kindergarten teacher will observe the early enrolled kindergarten student's work habits and developmental maturity in the classroom setting during the first thirty (30) days enrolled. Appropriateness of placement will be communicated with parents and site administration. The administrator and the teacher will meet with the parent at the end of the 30 days if it is determined that the child is struggling academically, socially, or behaviorally. The principal will make a determination about the continuation of placement in early entry kindergarten after reviewing all data. The administrator decision is final.
Open Enrollment Option
If your student meets the criteria for placement in kindergarten and you are interested in your student attending a school that is not in your attendance boundary, you will need to complete an online Open Enrollment Application after you receive the acceptance letter for early entrance into kindergarten. Note: This qualifying letter will need to be uploaded to the online Open Enrollment Application.
- If your student does not meet the kindergarten readiness requirements, we would recommend that you consider one of our district's preschool options. Please refer to www.dvusd.org for additional information on our quality preschool programs
- Getting our youngest DVUSD students off to a great start is one of our most treasured responsibilities. We are excited to offer a variety of programs and services to you and hope to be able to accommodate your preschooler's needs.
For further information or assistance please call the following:
Community Education for general education preschool/prekindergarten at (623) 445-4916, 4923, or 4925, or
Early Childhood for Developmental and Head Start programs at (623) 445-4991
The District may charge tuition for any child who is ineligible for basic state aid pursuant to A.R.S. 15-821.
- April 20 (Friday) FULL