Thursday, December 6th- 5pm
Join us for the 2019/2020 Kindergarten Open House!
If you have a four-year-old turning five by 8/31/19, please come to tour our classrooms/campus and learn all about kindergarten at Canyon Springs!
Spread the Word!!!What Will Your Child Learn?
In kindergarten, your child will be engaged in learning that will instill the LOVE for school as they become lifelong learners! Through guided developmental-appropriate lessons/stations/play, they’ll learn to get along with others, follow expectations, and learn the skills needed to read, write, and do math, with an integrated STEM focus.
- Recognize and write uppercase and lowercase letters of the alphabet.
- Match sounds to each alphabet letter.
- Recognize and use rhyming words.
- Begin reading words by using initial consonant sounds and such sound patterns as -an and -at (fan, man, can) and (sat, rat, pat).
- Recognize sight words (frequently used words).
- Capitalize the first and last name of a person and the word "I".
- Count, recognize, and write numbers up to 100.
- Identify, draw, cut, and name squares, circles, triangles, rectangles, and hexagons.
- Classify and group objects according to such characteristics as shape, color, size, texture, etc.
- Understand how people in communities work together.
- Communicate by drawing, telling, or writing for a purpose.
In kindergarten, children are encouraged to spell words the way they sound, which is called invented or inventive spelling. For example, your child may spell the word cat by writing "ct." Children usually start writing with consonants and beginning sounds because they are more distinct than vowels and ending sounds. When children use invented spelling, they are demonstrating their knowledge of letter sounds. As they learn the rules of spelling, they begin to apply them and make the transition to conventional spelling.