Welcome to First Grade!
Congratulations to your child for successfully completing kindergarten. We are looking forward to a great first grade year. Below is a list of skills that you could review with your child before they begin first grade.
· Know the basic kindergarten sight words. Your child should be able to read these words.
· Practice reading every night.
· Be able to say the corresponding sound for each letter of the alphabet.
· When you read stories to your child, make sure to be asking questions about the story. Pay attention to the characters, setting, beginning, middle, and end.
· Write your numbers 0-20 (or more). Numbers should not be backwards.
· Be able to identify numbers 0-20 out of sequence
· Be able to identify shapes and colors.
· Be able to count a set of items correctly up to 20 (or more).
Be able to write the kindergarten sight words.
· Be able to write all capital and lower case letters correctly.
· Be able to write a simple sentence that starts with a capital and ends with an end mark.
· Be able to write your first and last name correctly.Basic Skills
· Know your student identification number for lunch, library and computers.
· Be able to tie your shoes.
· Be able to open all containers and packages that you may bring for lunch.