"To be great is to be misunderstood" Ralph Waldo Emerson
Dear students and families,
This letter is for all students in my ELA 1-2 courses. I understand that your email boxes are filling to the brim with constant communication. From here on, all of my communication with families will be posted to our Canvas learning platforms. Feel free to contact me via email at any time at email@example.com.
My heart is with each of you during this time. I miss you desperately and wish we had gotten just one last in-person meeting before starting these sudden changes. As a staff, Ridge teachers are receiving updates daily from the state government, our district, and our administration team. Thank you for your endurance as we keep up with this evolving situation.
As of this morning, here are a few pieces of information to help you with plans for online learning:
- Online learning will begin next week on April 6th. For the first two weeks, students will be participating in review and enrichment activities online through Canvas. No new grades will be added to the gradebook. During this time, please feel empowered to go through our current second semester grades and complete any work that is logged as “0 missing” in Power Schools. The last day to turn these assignments in is April 17th. More directions for this process will be loaded into Canvas by April 6th. If you were absent for an assessment it will be entered as “EXEMPT.”
- If you need a specific handout or assistance in submitting an assignment, please email me and we will work together to get you the individual instruction and materials you need.
- Beginning next week, teachers will be available online during specific “office hours”. My office hours will be offered through Zoom. I will post the link for these live conferences on Canvas, but you will need to download the app on your iPad from DVUSD’S App store. This is an opportunity for me to provide clarity on instruction and assignments, answer questions, and for our class to meet together. Your scheduled office hours for ELA 1-2 are:
- Period 2 ELA 1-2: Tuesdays and Thursdays from 8:00am-8:30am
- Period 3 ELA 1-2: Mondays and Wednesday from 8:30am-9:00am
- Period 5 ELA 1-2: Tuesdays and Thursdays from 8:30am-9:00am
- Period 6 ELA 1-2: Mondays and Wednesdays from 12:30pm-1:00pm
- Period 7 ELA 1-2: Tuesdays and Thursdays from 12:30-1:00pm
- Fridays are reserved for all teachers to meet with their Professional Learning Communities. No office hours, but email me if you need something!
- Work for each week will be posted Monday morning by 8 AM and due on Friday.
There are a lot of unknowns. With our state announcing school closures for the remainder of the school year on Monday morning, we are waiting on many answers regarding grades, final exams, and so much more.
It is my personal belief and developing philosophy that years from now, you will not remember much about the homework that I assigned or the projects that were given. Instead, when we remember the spring of 2020, you will mostly remember how you felt.
With that in the forefront of my mind, know that I am here for each of you to support you academically, and not to add a single bit of stress in your direction. Whatever issues arise, we will work through it together. I will be sending you resources to help enrich and grow your love and learning of reading and writing. I will be offering you feedback, instruction, and assistance. I appreciate your patience and understanding as we work through the remainder of the year. Please remember that I am here for you, and that together we can finish the remainder of the year on a positive note.
Dear ELA 1-2 Parents,
I know that this is a difficult time for us all, but for the time being we are on an extended Spring Break. This means that we are not to have any form of instruction until otherwise notified. It is likely that we will be moving towards online instruction, and on that note I would like to encourage you to purchase your student a copy of No Fear Shakespeare: Romeo and Juliet. I have included a link to the book below. This is a recommended text, NOT a required text. I will provide access to an electronic copy of Romeo and Juliet on Canvas. That being said, the copy of No Fear Shakespeare: Romeo and Juliet is designed to help your student in understanding the text as it is a “side by side,” meaning the original text is on one page and then a modern translation is on the other.While we wait to hear more from district I would also like to offer the opportunity for students to work on assignments that are marked as “0 missing” in Power Schools. All work will need to be submitted online through Canvas as I am unable to grade physical copies. Once submitted I will grade the assignment and award partial credit. This opportunity begins today and ends on Sunday, March 29th at 11:59 PM. All assignments MUST BE TYPED, and again, submitted to CANVAS not email.Stay healthy and email me if you or your student has any questions.
Hello, and welcome to my class!
To tell you a little bit about myself, this is my third year here at Mountain Ridge High School, having previously taught for Scottsdale Unified School District for three and a half years. In previous years I have worked with all grades, but I am very excited to have the opportunity to work with freshmen again this year.
I graduated from Northern Arizona University with my Bachelor's of Science in Education with an emphasis in English and a minor in History, and upon graduation I graduated with Summa Cum Laude Latin honors as well as Liberal Studies honors. While attending NAU I worked for the university's honors writing and mentoring programs as well as had the opportunity to be an HON101 facilitator.
On a personal note, I am originally from California and enjoy reading, playing with my dog Arlo, as well as hiking and skiing with my husband Michael.
Please be advised that my email is the best way to contact me.
Check your Grades by clicking the link: PowerSchools
Turn in assignments, find make-up/absent work & more: CANVAS
Absent work, due dates, and more!: Live Class Calendar (ELA 1-2)
(NOTE: For the class calendar you will need to sign in using your DVUSD google account info)
Class Schedule Office Hours
Period 1: Prep MON: By appointment
Period 2: ELA 1-2 TUES: ACA Prep & Afternoon
Period 3: ELA 1-2 WED: Afternoon
Period 4: Lunch THURS:ACA Prep & Afternoon
Period 5: ELA 1-2 FRI: By appointment
Period 6: ELA 1-2
Period 7: ELA 1-2
***Any changes in the above office hours will be communicated to all classes on the board. Students are encouraged to let me know when they are coming so that I can plan accordingly to help them in the best way possible. Students should also take advantage of Aca-Prep on every Tuesday and Thursday as it is incorporated into the school day***