Kevin Riegle, M.Ed
Certified Athletic Trainer
Message me anytime and I will try to respond within 24 hours or less.
Deer Valley Online Learning Program
Physical Education Teacher
Deer Valley High School
Sports Medicine Teacher/Department Coordinator/Certified Athletic Trainer/Head Track Coach
Deer Valley High School
Final Exams: May 7th, 8th, and 9th from 3-7pm (You must allow 2 hours per final.) All Finals are taken in person at Barry Goldwater High School (Cafeteria)
Health Course Description: Health will provide students with the skills and knowledge to make personal health decisions and maintain a healthy environment. Meets the health portion of the graduation requirement. Required with a physical education core class.
Nutrition and Exercise
Communication and Relationships
Endocrine and Reproductice Systems
A final study guide will be published the week before finals begin.
Specific Course Requirements/Expectations:
You must have internet access and a device in order to log into Canvas and complete your work. Students will complete 8 hours of worktime each week and document this in their eslogs. Students will participate in discussions with appropriate language and respect to others.Students will turn all items in on-time and meet deadlines. Students will message me via Canvas with all questions and concerns.
In this course, we will be using the textbook Glencoe Health. There will be PDF copies of the textbook chapters available within each module.
You will be given 1 test at the end of each unit worth 50 pts. There will also be a Final Exam at the end of the course which will be completed in person. You MUST be present for the Final, NO MAKEUPS allowed! (More information to follow)
Grades will be imputed within 72 hours of being submitted. All work must be turned in by the due date to receive credit. If an assignment is late you will receive a maximum of 1/2 credit.
Grades will be weighted 40% Homework/40% Assessments with the Final Exam worth 20% of your overall grade. You MUST pass the Final with a score above 60% to pass the course.
90-100% = A
59% & below = F
Assignments and Projects:
The assignments within the modules must be completed in order. Do not skip around. Do not take the Unit Test until you have completed each assignment.
Each Unit consists of the following activities: Personal Inventory, Vocabulary, Chapter readings, Quiz, videos, Unit Project and a Test.
Students must communicate with other students in the discussion board, students are expected to communicate with the instructor as a learning resource, and students must check frequently for announcements.
Participation is required, learn how to navigate in the learning management system, keep abreast of course announcements, use the message system within Canvas as opposed to a personal email address, address technical problems immediately, and observe course netiquette at all times.
- Use the internal email message system in Canvas only.
- Always include a subject line.
- Remember without facial expressions some comments may be taken the wrong way. Be careful in wording your emails. Use of emoticons might be helpful in some cases.
- Use standard fonts.
- Do not send large attachments without permission.
- Special formatting such as centering, audio messages, tables, html, etc. should be avoided unless necessary to complete an assignment or other communication.
- Respect the privacy of other class members
- Review the discussion threads thoroughly before entering the discussion.
- Try to maintain threads by using the "Reply" button rather starting a new topic.
- Do not make insulting or inflammatory statements to other members of the discussion group. Be respectful of other’s ideas.
- Be patient and read the comments of other group members thoroughly before entering your remarks.
- Be cooperative with group leaders in completing assigned tasks.
- Be positive and constructive in group discussions.
- Respond in a thoughtful and timely manner.
- Introduce yourself to the other learners in the chat session.
- Be polite. Choose your words carefully. Do not use derogatory statements.
- Be concise in responding to others in the chat session.
- Be prepared to open the chat session at the scheduled time.
- Be constructive in your comments and suggestion.
From time to time Canvas may go down. Return later to attempt to login and continue working. If problem persists, please contact me through e-mail. Please do not hesitate to message me with any issues you may be having with Canvas.