Sandra Day O'Connor High School Gifted Academy
What is the Gifted Academy?
The Gifted Academy consists of highly qualified, gifted endorsed teachers who work together to provide unique gifted programming to enrolled students. Gifted courses are enhanced with problem-based, project-based, and cross curricular learning opportunities focusing on the gifted learner and allowing for a more enriching experience. Cohort classes consist of only students accepted into the program.
- Freshman year courses: ELA 1-2, Biology Honors/BIO100 (Dual Credit)
- Sophomore year courses: ELA 3-4, AP Seminar, AP World History, HIS110/111 (World History Dual Credit), Honors Chemistry
In upper level courses, a gifted cluster model is used with students assigned a teacher that is also highly qualified and gifted endorsed. Students are encouraged to pursue their passion at O'Connor while being provided with social and emotional supports built in to the school day. We offer a variety of Advanced Placement and Dual Enrollment courses in science, math, social sciences, foreign language, art and Career and Technical Education (CTE).
What are the benefits of the Gifted Academy?
- smaller community of learners in Biology and Language Arts
- courses taught by teachers trained in gifted strategies
- provide affective learning opportunities for students.
- student choice with electives (Sports Medicine, JROTC, Computer Science, Graphic Design, Child Development, Fine Art, Band, Chorus)
- access to over 30 Dual Enrollment and over 25 Advanced Placement courses
- opportunity to do authentic research at the high school level and be eligible for the Capstone Diploma
Testimonials from students:
- "I like that we are challenged with different skills and different types of assignments. It is nice to be able to do something creative within our classes and think about things differently. I also like that we are able to be in a class with other students who think the same as us." ~ K.S
- "I like the people in the gifted program and how everyone knows everyone else. The environment feels very comfortable and fun, especially when it comes to presentations and speaking in front of the class because it has a comfortable feel to it." ~C.K.
- "It challenges my abilities and pushes me to my limits, while allowing me to be in a fun and engaging environment" ~K.C.