Welcome to Online 8th Grade ELA!
8th Grade ELA Home Learning
Title: Your Hero’s Journey!
Week of May 4-May 10
Learning Platform: Canvas
Virtual Office Class Meetings: Monday through Thursday 10am-11am,
8.W.2 Write informative/explanatory texts to examine a topic and convey ideas, concepts, and information
through the selection, organization, and analysis of relevant content.
1. Introduce a topic clearly, previewing what is to follow; organize ideas, concepts, and information
into broader categories; include formatting (e.g., headings), graphics (e.g., charts, tables), and
multimedia when useful to aiding comprehension.
2. Develop the topic with well-chosen, relevant facts, definitions, concrete details, quotations, or
other information and examples.
3. Use appropriate and varied transitions to create cohesion and clarify the relationships among
ideas and concepts.
- Use precise language and domain‐specific vocabulary to inform about or explain the topic.
- Establish and maintain a formal style.
- Provide a concluding statement or section that follows from and supports the information or explanation presented.
You will be writing your story this week! It will be a minimum of 2 to 5 pages. The concept you are following is The Hero’s Journey. These are the characters YOU created and the plot that YOU designed!
Watch short video to help you start writing your story. Begin writing your story! Be sure to:
- Clearly organize your story/ideas
- Have relevant facts and details.
- Be sure to transition smoothly from scene to scene
- Make sure your language is precise
- Conclude clearly (end the story appropriately and following The Hero’s Journey guidelines)
You are writing your short story. It will be due this Sunday, May 10 by midnight!