Welcome to Social Studies!!!Scroll to the bottom of the page for the week's lesson plans.
Social Studies Final Grade Break Down
- Tests and Quizzes 60%
- Classwork 30%
- Notebook (ISN) 10%
Lesson PlansPlease remember that lessons will change throughout the course of the week and these plans are not set in stone. Many times lessons in all subjects take both longer and shorter than expected. Lesson plans will only be updated at the beginning of each week.Week of 1/14
Week of 1/7
- Monday: Complete Close Read of Athens' Choices and Sparta's Choices worksheets. Choose sides for debate.
- Tuesday: Debate preparation. Decide topics to read, research, and eventually argue.
- Wednesday: Finish prep. Begin debate.
- Thursday: Finish debate. Begin argumentative papragraph over which city-state made the better choices.
- Friday: Finish argumentative paragraph.
Week of 12/17*There will be 2 retakes available this week. The first available is the second test over Egypt, the second retake will be over ancient China. I have the Egypt test scheduled for 12/18 and the China test scheduled for 12/20, however, as long as both retakes are completed by 12/20 it is fine. Just remember, grades close 12/21.Retake requirements for Egypt.
- Monday: Welcome Back. Class Meeting. Who are you going to be for the last portion of the year? Begin Greece KWL. K Section
- Tuesday: Introduction to ancient Greece through pictures. Complete W section of KWL. Begin greek geography. Begin creation of ancient Greek map.
- Wednesday: Finish ancient Greek mapping activity. Discussion of the cause and effects of Greek geography.
- Thursday: Comparison and contrast of 2 Greek citiy-states Athens and Sparta. Read backgound from textbook. Close read of hand outs over Athens' choices and Sparta's choices.
- Friday. Students choose a city-state and prep for debate.
- Write a 3/4 page summary over the Kingdom Timeline
- Create a 10 item circle map over Mummification, Pyramids, What is the Point
Reaurements for China Retake
- Circle Map with 15 itmes over Geography and Resources of China
- MultiFlow Map showing the causes and effects of the each of the Big 4 Chinese Inventions
- 1/4 page summary over the Silk Road notes
Week of 12/10Note: There is a test this Friday (12/14) over ancient China. Notes covered include, Geography and Barriers of ancient China, Chinese Inventions, and the Silk Road. All notes are available under the notes and activities section.Note2: There is a retake over the second ancient Egyptian test on Tuesday, 12/18. Students are required to complete a 3/4 page summary over the Kingdom Timeline Notes and a 10 item Circle Map over Pyramids, Mummification, What is the Point to qualify. All notes are available under the notes and activities section.
- Monday: All Things EQ, discuss China test, review ISN's for district assessment.
- Tuesday: Complete L section for KWL chart of China. review ISN's for district assessment. Retake for Egypt 2 test
- Wednesday: Mandatory district assessment.
- Thursday: Complete district assessment. Virtual tour of the Clay Army and Great Wall. Retake for China test.
- Friday: 1/2 day. Afternoon schedule. Chinese traditions and culture
Week of 12/3
- Monday: All Things EQ Video. New seating chart. Review Egypt test and discuss retake parameters. HW: Study for test
- Tuesday: Turn in ancient China packets. Family Life in ancient China. Discussion and comparision/contrast of Chinese and American cultural norms. HW: Study for test.
- Wednesday: Complete Family Life in China worksheet. Reading and videos over the Great Wall and the Clay Army. HW: Study for test
- Thursday: Complete Great Wall and Clay Army activities. Review game. HW: Study for test
- Friday: Test over ancient China.
Week of 11/26*Note: There will be a retake on Tuesday over the previous Egypt test over mummification and the Geography and Resources of ancient Egypt. Students are required to write a 3/4 page summary over the Geography and Resources notes as well as create a 10 item Flow Map over mummification.Note 2: The second test over ancient Egypt will be on Friday, November 11-30. The test will be over the Kingdom Timeline and Pyramids, Mummification, Why Go Through the Trouble.
- Monday: Complete note take and discussion over Chinese Inventions. Preparation for Silk Road simulation.
- Tuesday: Silk Road simulation.
- Wednesday: Wrap up and discussion of Silk Road. Begin guided read packet over Early Chinese Society.
- Thursday: Finish packet over Early Chinese Society. Pass out Egypt test and discuss parameters for retake.
- Friday: Comparision and contrast of Chinese cultural norms and American cultural norms.
Week of 11/19*Note: There will be a retake early next week (Tuesday) over previous Egypt test over mummification and the Geography and Resources of ancient Egypt. Students wil be required to write a 3/4 page summary over the Geography and Resource notes as well as create a 10 item Flow Map over mummification. This will be reviewed in class on Monday, 11/19.
- Monday: Complete Egypt KWL Chart. L-Section (10 things learned). This will be HW if it is not completed. Begin KWL Chart for China, K & W Sections. HW: Complete L section of Egypt KWL and study for test.
- Tuesday: Discuss and review the geography of China and its natural barriers that separate it from the rest of the ancient world. Reiview of positives and negatives of river life. Retake for first Egypt Test. HW: Study for test.
- Wednesday: Discussion and note take of the Big 4 Chinese inventions as well as other notables. HW: Study for test.
- Thursday: Begin guided read packet Early Chinese Society. Review game for 2nd Egypt test. HW: Study for test.
- Friday: Second and final test over Egypt. Work on Early Chinese Society packet
Week of 11/12
- Monday: Review Egypt test and discuss retakes. Common Sense Media: Scams and Schemes.
- Tuesday: Common Sense Media: Safe Online Talk
- Wednesday - Friday: No School. Thanksgiving Break.
Week of 11/5Note: There will be a test this week on Wednesday, 11-7, over the Geography and Resources of Egypt and Mummification.
- Monday: No School in recognition of Veteran's Day. Thank you for your service.
- Tuesday: Finish Point of Pyrmaid/Mummification notes and discussion. Finish reviewing Kingdom Timeline
- Wednesday: Begin King Tut Tree Map
- Thursday: Work on King Tut Tree Map
- Friday: Finish Suspects in King Tut's Death Tree Map
Week of 10/29Note: Early next week on Tuesday, 11-6, there will be a test over ancient Egypt. Students will be tested over the Geography and Resources notes and mummification (use plan in ISN).
- Monday: Finish up pyramid discussion covering the how and why of pyrmid building. HW: Study for test on Wednesday.
- Tuesday: Review and discuss Kingdom Timeline. Review game for test tomorrow. HW: Study for test on Wednesday.
- Wednesday: Test over Geography and Resources of Egypt.
- Thursday: King Tut murder mystery. Read and discuss and create Tree Map of suspects.
- Friday: Continue with King Tut murder mystery.
Week of 10/22*Note: There will be retake over the River Valleys/Sumer and Mesopotamia test on Thursday 10/25. Students need to write a full page summary of the River Valley and Sumer notes and the create a Flow Map with at least 8 boxes. (I will explain how to do the Flow Map in class on Monday.)
- Monday: All essays due. HW if not completed. Wrap up Newspaper activities week 6 (possibly exclude 7th hour). Grade work from substitute on Friday. Begin creation of ancient Egyptian Social Pyramid in ISNs.
- Tuesday: Begin pyramids. How and why were they built. View video snippetss. Brainstorm and discuss.
- Wednesday: Field trip to Organ Stop Pizza. Class party in 7th hour.
- Thursday. Continue with the how and why of pyrmid building. Work on Social Pyramid.
- Friday: Half Day. Afternoon schedule. Review and discuss Kingdom Flow Maps. Complete Social Pyrmid in ISN.
Week of 10/15
- Monday: Continue with organization of mummification essay. Create Flee Maps in ISN. Discuss writing intros, conclusions, embedding transitions, and a thesis statment.
- Tuesday: Finish plans and begin writing draft of explanatory essay on a separate piece of paper.
- Wednesday: Finish essays. Begin discussion of the how and why of pyramids. View video snippets of various theories.
- Thursday: Finish pyramid how and why discusison.
- Friday: Read Egypt newspapers and answer questions. If time remaining read Mesopotamia newspapers.
Week of 10/8*This Thursday there will be a test over the River Valley/Sumer notes and the first page of the Early Empire notes.
- Monday: Read packet over Mummification. Discuss key points and create a plan to organize the body for an explanatory essay.
- Tuesday: Complete Plan for essay. Contninue with note take and discussion over geography and resources of ancient Egypt.
- Wednesday: Take district assessment. Writing DBQ. Complete geography and resources of ancient Egypt. Glue Kingdom timeline into ISN and discuss. View ancient Egyptian timeline overview and discuss. Begin essay.
- Thursday: Half Day: Afternoon classes. Finsih writing DBQ (if not done). Complete mummification essay.
- Friday: Half Day: Morning classes. Finish writing DBQ (if not done). Complete mummification essay.
Week of 10/1
- Monday: No School. Fall Break Day
- Tuesday: Create Map of ancient Egypt highlighting natural barriers. Begin discussion over note take over the Geography and Resource of ancient Egypt. HW: Study for test
- Wednesday: Review game for the test. HW: Study for test Friday
- Thursday: Test over River Valleys/Sumer notes (available on website) and the first page only of the Early empire notes (copies are available in class).
- Friday: Half Day for staff development, morning classes only. Contiue with Geogrphy of ancient Egypt.
Weekof 9/24Note: On Friday, September 28th, there will be a retake over the Neolithic/Village Simulation test. Students are required to put their Neolthic Notes into a 3/4 page summary and the terms & definitions from the Village Simulation into a Tree Map. Clarification will be given on Tuesday in class.
- Monday: SLO pretest for anceint Greece. Continue planning and begin writing for argumentative paragraph.
- Tuesday: Finish writing paragraph. Glue informatoin about Assyrians and Chaldeans in ISN.
- Wednesday: Review and discuss the Assyrians and Chaldeans. Complete L section of KWL chart for Mesopotamia.
- Thursday: Create KWL chart for Egypt. Complete K & W sections. Discuss what you already know. View picutre PPT to discuss what you would like to learn.
- Friday: No school. Fall break day
Week of 9/17
- Monday: Review remaining Hammurabi's Laws. Prep for debate.
- Tuesday: Finish prepping for debate (morning classes). Review test over Neolithic/Village Simulation, discuss retake parameters. Begin debate.
- Wednesday: Finish debate. Begin discussion for first Social Studies argumentative paragraph. Begin planning, making a claim, and supporting it with evidence.
- Thursday: Finish planning. Write paragraph.
- Friday: Retake for Neolithic People and Village Simulation. Continue with writing of your paragraph, due at the end of class.
Week of 9/10Note: On Wednesday, there will be a retake over the Paleolithic and Why Move notes. Both PPTs are loaded to my website under the notes and activities sections. If students cannnot access them at home they may use the computers here at school to print copies. In order to qualify for the retake, students must complete a 3/4 of a page summary over the Paleolthic Notes and a Tree Map showing the terms and definitions of the Why Move notes. Students will not be able to do a retake unless they fully complete both assignments.Note 2: On Friday we will have a test over the Neolithic People Notes and Village Simulation notes. Neolithic people notes are available on my website under the notes and activities section. A copy of the Village Simulation notes that students glued into ISNs is available in class in my extras bin.
- Monday: Complete note take and discussion over River Valley's and Sumer.
- Tuesday: Glue map of Mesopotamia into ISN. Color-code areas and discussion. Begin close read of an excerpt from the Epic of Gilgamesh.
- Wednesday: Complete close read of Gilgamesh. Discussion of Sumerian beliefs of the afterlife and of battle.
- Thursday: Begin guided reading of early Mesopotamian empires, Akkad and Babylon.
- Friday: Introduction to the Laws of Hammurabi.
Week of 9-3*Note: There will be a retake over the Tools of Discovery notes on Wednesday, September 5th. In order for students to qualify for a retake, they must complete a Tree Map with all of the vocabulary and definitions. Since this is my way of knowing students have reviewed their notes, they will not be allowed to take the retake until this is completed.
- Monday: No School
- Tuesday: Discuss September 11th. Complete KWL Chart L section for Early People (10 things you learned). HW: Study for test on Friday, complete webquest (1st and 7th hours).
- Wednesday: KWL chart for Mesopotamia. Complete K&W sections, what you know, what you would like to learn. HW: Study for test.
- Thursday: Begin discussion and note take over Early River Civilizations and Sumer. Review game for test Friday: HW: Study for test
- Friday: Test over Neolithic People and Villiage Simulation. Work on River Valleys and Sumer.
Week of 8/27*Note: There will be a test over the Paleolithic People and Why Move notes on Thursday August 30th. There are copies of the notes on the Notes and Activities section of my webpage.
- Monday: No School, Labor Day.
- Tuesday: Finish creating and graphing first test. Review and discuss economic terms from the Village Simulation earlier this week. (Notes were teacher provided and glued into ISNs last week, if students were absent, have them see me for a copy).
- Wednesday: Retakes for Tools of Discovery Test. Students completing retakes are responsiblie for all work missed during the retake. Finish discussion and overview of the simulation. Continue with note take and discussion over Neolithic People.
- Thursday: Finish note take and discussion over Neolithic People. Begin Utzi the Iceman Web Quest.
- Friday: Finish Utzi Web Quest. Review and discuss Paleolthic test discuss and set parameters for retake.
Week of 8/20*Note: This week on Thursday we will have our first test in Social Studies over the Tools of Discovery Notes. There is a copy of the notes on my website under the notes and activities section.
- Monday: Complete Why Move notes and activities. Examine globes to determine early path to the Americas. Complete worksheet over Push/pull factors and Reasons for Migration. Begin discussion and notetake over Neolithic People. Prepare for tomorrow's simulation. HW: Complete worksheet if not done in class and study for Thursday's test.
- Tuesday: Conduct simulation over Neolithic Farmers. HW: Study for test.
- Wednesday: Review game for tomorrow's test. Note take over economic terms from Farming Simulation.
- Thursday: Test over Paleolithic People and Why Move notes. Note take and discussion over Neolithic People and Economic Terms.
- Friday: Discuss and review test over Tools of Discovery. Discussion of retake requirement and expectations. Graph test scores in ISN. Continue with Neolithic and economic notes.
Week of 8/13
- Monday: View Health Center Video. Complete Early People (Paleolithic and Neolithic) KWL Chart. Begin discussion and note take over Paleolithic People. Discuss and debate gender roles in Paleolthic Society. HW: Study for test over Tools of Discovery Notes on Thursday.
- Tuesday: Finish note take and discussion over Paleolithic People. Begin Why Move activity and notes. Discussion of Push/Pull Factors and Reasons for Migration. HW: Study for test over Tools of Discovery on Thursday
- Wednesday: Finish Why Move notes and discussion. Review game for test tomorrow. HW: Study for test.
- Thursday: Test over Tools of Discovery Notes. Prep for tomorrows simulation over Neolithic Farmers.
- Friday: Review tests if graded. Conduct simulation over Neolthic Farming.
- Monday: Set up Social Studies notebook. Overview of Social Studies for 6th grade. Answer the question, "How do we know, what we know, about the past?" Discussion of tomorrows activity.
- Tuesday: Conduct the archaeology simulation. Review, discuss, and draw conclusions from the arti-fakes about the Fasuligans. HW: If not done in class, complete the table that accompanied the simulation.
- Wednesday: Debrief the simulation. Preassessment (KWL chart) over early people (Paleolithic and Neolithic). Complete W section of chart. HW: Complete chart if not done in class.
- Thursday:Dicussion and note take over paleolithic people.
- Friday: Finish discussion and note take. Begin activity over why people move. Push and pull factors.