Welcome to Social Studies!!!Scroll to the bottom of the page for the week's lesson plans.
Social Studies Final Grade Break Down
- Tests and Quizzes 60%
- Classwork 30%
- Notebook (ISN) 10%
Lesson PlansPlease remember that lessons will change throughout the course of t he week and these plans are not set in stone. Many times lessons in all subjects take both longer and shorter than expected. Lesson plans will only be updated at the beginning of each week.Week of 1/20*There is a test this week over ancient Greece map, Causes and Effects of Greek Geography, Athens/Sparta choices on Friday 1/24.
Week of 1/13
- Monday: No School. MLK
- Tuesday: Finish plans/essays for Athens/Sparta
- Wednesday: No Class. March on West.
- Thursday: Finish essays. Begin discussion of the Persian Empire. Review game for test.
- Friday: Test over Greek Map, Causes and Effects of Greek Geo, and Athens/Sparta Choices.
Week of 1/6
- Monday: All Things EQ. Finish reading articles, begin planning for debate
- Tuesday: Debate prep.
- Wednesday: Conduct Athens/Sparta Debate
- Thursday: Finish Athens/Sparta Debate
- Friday: Create plans for argumentative paragraph
Week of 12/16
- Monday: Class Meeting and Welcome back. All Things EQ. Create KWL chart for ancient Greece. Complete K section.
- Tuesday: Picture preview of Greece, complete W section of KWL. Creation of ancient Greece map. Highlighting territory, islands, city-states, regions, and seas. Geographic causes and effects of how Greece developed differently than other civilizations of the time. Creation of multi-flow map.
- Wednesday: Begin discussion of Athens and Sparta similarities and differences. Read background and Athens/Sparta Choices worksheets.
- Thursday: Choose a city-state and prep for debate with your side. Assigning of topics to tackle.
- Friday: Finish debate prep and begin arguments.
Week of 12/9
- Monday: Review game/study guide for district assessment. Complete comparison of American/Chinese Cultures. No HW.
- Tuesday: Complete game/study guide for district assessment. View videos on Great Wall and Clay Army. No HW
- Wednesday: Take district assessment. Complete activity with Great Wall and Clay Army if time permits. No HW
- Thursday: China Revealed. India retakes must be completed by 2:45 today. No HW
- Friday: Early release. End of quarter
Week of 12/2Note: There will be a test over India on Friday 12/6. It will cover, positives/negatives of river life, the Hinduism/Buddhism Double Bubble Map, and Indian contributions and achievements.
- Monday: All Things EQ. Discussion of the Big 4 Chinese Inventions and their impact as well as additional inventions. If time, give overview of Silk Road Game. No HW
- Tuesday: Silk Road simulation. Debrief, discussion and note take if time permitting. No HW.
- Wednesday: Read article with leveled text over history of the Silk Road and complete questions. No HW.
- Thursday: Pass out India test and discuss retake parameters. Complete reading of text over Silk Road. No HW.
- Friday: Discussion and comparison/contrast of Chinese culture and American culture. No HW.
Week of 11/25Note: Last day to retake Egypt #2 test is Tuesday, 11/26.
- Monday: All Things EQ. Write test in agenda. KWL Chart. K & W sections for ancient China. View picture PPT. Discussion of Chinese Geography. Review positives and negatives of river life & commonalities of all river valley civs. HW: Study for India test.
- Tuesday: Finish up Chinese Geography. Begin discussion of Chinese inventions and how the revolutionized the world. HW: Study for India test.
- Wednesday: Finish up Chinese inventions. Compare and contrast Chinese social classes with those from other civilizations. HW: Study for India test.
- Thursday: Review game. Finish up social class comparison. Begin readings over early Chinese civilization. HW: Study for India test.
- Friday: India test. Media Center. Work early Chinese civilization.
Week of 11/18Note: The last day for the Egypt #2 retake will be Tuesday, November 26th before Thanksgiving break.
- Monday: Media Center visit. Complete L section of India KWL. Write 10 things learned. Read article: Ancient India Changes the World in Math. Complete questions.
- Tuesday: New seating chart. Complete yesterday's article and questions. Discussion of holiday traditions and Thanksgiving around the world.
Week of 11/11Note: There is a test this week on Friday over the Kingdom Timeline, Social Pyramid, and Pyramids to Valley of King Notes.
- Monday: All Things EQ. Review problems and negatives of river life. Finish discussion of Hinduism and introduce Buddhism. Students compare and contrast both religions using a Double Bubble Map.
- Tuesday: Finish Double Bubble Map comparing and contrasting both religions. Introduce culture and contributions. Discussion and note take.
- Wednesday: ISN Check. Read India newspaper and activity. Pass out last week's Egypt test. Discussion of retake.
- Thursday: Discussion and note take over India history, culture and achievements.
- Friday: Finish up discussion and note take over Inda history, culture, and achievements.
Week of 11/4
- Monday: No School, thank you veterans
- Tuesday: KWL Chart over India. Map of India
- Wednesday: Effects of the Caste System in modern day India -Economic Opportunity
- Thursday: Finish effects of the Caste System. Review game for test.
- Friday: Second test over Egypt. For notes see notes and activities page.
Week of 10/28*Note: There will be a test this week on Wednesday, 10-30. The test will cover the Geography and Resources of Egypt, Map of Egypt, & mummification. Like Hammurabi's Laws last time, students only need to be familiar with some of the steps and why the ancient Egyptians performed mummification. The bulk of study time should be spent over Geo and Resources of Egypt notes.
- Monday: All Things EQ. Second part of transition list. Finish up timeline and discussion of Hatshepsut. Discussion and comparision pyramids versus Valley of the Kings. Introduce King Tut Murder Mystery?
- Tuesday: Who killed King Tut? Group project, reading and creation of Tree Map.
- Wednesday: Egypt Newspapers. Answer questions.
- Thursday: Complete King Tut project. Write 10 things learned about Egypt in KWL.
- Friday: Retake for first Egypt Test. Intro to India
Week of 10/21
- Monday: Finish district assessment. HW: Study for Egypt test on Wednesday.
- Tuesday: Finish pyramid theories. Review game for test. HW: Study for test tomorrow.
- Wednesday: Test over Geography and Resources of Egypt, Egypt Map, & mummification.
- Thursday: Finish pyramid building and discuss the transition from pryamids to the Valley of the Kings. Discussion of Hatsheptsuit and New Kingdom pharaohs.
- Friday: Introduce King Tut. Explore theories of his death.
Week of 10/14
- Monday: All Things EQ. Demonstrate closing paragraph. Complete mummification essay.
- Tuesday: Complete mummification paragaph. HW if not completed.
- Wednesday: Theories of how the ancient Egyptians built the pyramids.
- Thursday: District Assessment.
- Friday: Continue with theories of pyramid building. HW: Study for test Wednesday.
Week of 10/7Note: With the end of the quarter approaching there will be 2 retakes this week. The retake for the test over the river valley notes is Tuesday 10/8. The retake over Mesopotamia will be Friday, 10/11. All grades close Friday 10/11.
- Monday: No School
- Tuesday: Class Meeting. All Things EQ. Continue planning out mummification report and using sequening transitions. Write intro and concluding paragraphs. No HW
- Wednesday: Write Draft of mummification informational report. No HW
- Thursday: 1/2 Day Schedule (Release Time 11:20) Morning Classes. Finish report. No HW
- Friday: 1/2 Day Schedule Release Time 11:20) Afternoon Classes. Finish report. No HW
Week of 9/30Note: There will be a test this week over Civilizations of Mesopotamia, the Social Pyramid, and Hammurabi's Laws. Have students spend the vast majority of their time studying the Civis of Meso. & Social Pyramid. The Social Pryamid notes are part of the Civs of Meso in the notes and activities section of the web page. Students only need to be familiar with Ham's Laws.
- Monday: All Things EQ. Create Egypt Map in ISN. Introduce concept of natural barriers. Discussion of transitional words and phrases. Create list in ISN.
- Tuesday: Retake over river valley test. Finish map if not complete. Glue Kingdom timeline into ISN. Compare and contrast Egypt's timeline with Mesopotamia. Begin note take and discussion over Egypt's natural barriers and their effects.
- Wednesday: Discuss Mesopotamia test and remind of retakes on Friday. Mini lesson using trasitional words and strategies (finish list if not complete). Begin reading and discussinng mummification packet.
- Thursday: Finish reading mummification packet. Using transitional words when describing mummification. Begin writing to inform essay over mummification.
- Friday: Retake for Mesopotamia test. Continue with mummification essay.
Week of 9/23
- Monday & Tuesday: No School. Fall Break.
- Wednesday: All Things EQ. Finish Gilgamesh rewrite. Complete the Social Pyramid of Mesopotamia notes. Write 10 things learned in KWL chart. L-section. HW: Study for test on Friday.
- Thursday: Review game. Intro to Egypt PPT. Complete K & W section of KWL chart. ISN check. HW: Study for test.
- Friday: Test over Mesopotamia.
Week of 9/16
- Monday: All Things EQ. Complete overview of Mesopotamian Civilizations. No HW.
- Tuesday: Review Gilgamesh paragraph and rewrite as a class. History Mystery, Babylon.
- Wednesday: Continue with review of Gilgamesh paragraph and rewrite. Group work over Assyria and New Babylon wkhst. HW: Complete wksht if not done in class.
- Thursday: SLO test. Look at and create the Social Pyramid of Mesopotamia. Review test over river valley commonalities and discuss retake.
- Friday: Finish Gilgamesh rewrite. Complete Mesopotamia Social Pyramid.
Week of 9/9
- Monday: Finish debate prep. Conduct Hammurabi's Laws debate. HW: Study for test.
- Tuesday: Retake over Paleo/Neo People. Finish debate over Hammurabi's Laws. Debrief and discuss. HW: Study for test.
- Wednesday: Review game. Review paragraph write over Gilgamesh, model by teacher. HW: Study for test.
- Thursday: Test over Positives/negatives of river life. Finish review of Gilgamesh.
- Friday: Media Center. discussion and note take over Assyrians and Neobabylonians.
Week of 9/2*Note 1: There will be retake this week over the Why Move & Historical Terms test on Wednesday, 9/4. Students need to just complete the retake contract discussed in class.*Note 2: There will be a test over Paleolithic People and The Effects of the Farming Revolution on Friday, 9/7.
- Monday: Complete overview of ancient Sumer. Close read of excerpt from The Epic of Gilgamesh. Answer first three questions on worksheet for HW if not completed in class.
- Tuesday: Paragraph write using Social Studies DBQ Rubric over Gilgamesh.
- Wednesday: Finish paragraphs if not complete. Overview of Akkad and Babylon.
- Thursday: Introduction of Hammurabi's Laws. Read and discuss. Place students into groups fair vs cruel for debate. Debate prep.
- Friday: Prep for debate next week.
Week of 8/26
- Monday: No School due to Labor Day
- Tuesday: Graph the previous test in ISN. Discussion and note take over River Valley Civilizations. Preview of Mesopotamia if time. HW: Study for test
- Wednesday: Finish Preview. Mesopotamia Timeline of Empires. Begin note take and discussion over Sumer.
- Thursday: Review for test. Finish notetake and discussion over Sumer. Begin close read over an Excerpt from the Epic of Gilgamesh.
- Friday: Paleolithic and The Effects of the Farming Revolution Test. Continue with close read over the Epic of Gilgamesh.
Week of 8/19Quiz on Friday 8/23 over historical terms and Why Move Notes
- Monday: Complete Multi-Flow Map of the Effects of the Farming Revolution through discussion and modeling.
- Tuesday: Introduce SS Writing Rubric and how to elaborate in an extended response question. (Model using reasons for migration).
- Wednesday: Extended Response Writing over farming revolution. Pass out test Friday's test and discuss parameters for retake.
- Thursday: Otzi the Iceman web quest.
- Friday: Finish web quest.
Week of 8/12
- Monday: Complete Push/Pull. Complete notes over Why Move. Begin notes and discussin over Paleolithic People. HW: Finish Reasons for Mirgration Worksheet.
- Tuesday: Finish Paleolithic People notes. Virtual Tour of Lascaux Caves. Prep for activity tomorrow.
- Wednesday: Neolithic Village Simulation.
- Thursday: Debrief simulation.
- Friday: Quiz over Why Move and Historical Terms.
- Monday: Ideal Teacher/Student Activity. Set up class notebook. Discussion of classroom goals and answer the question, "How Do We Know, What We Know, About the Past." Overview of tomorrow's simulation.
- Tuesday: Conduct simulation and fill out the chart. The chart is HW if it is not completed.
- Wednesday: Debrief simulation. Discussion of conclusions about arti-fakes, but also roles/jobs that would be useful in decoding the past. Create table in ISN.
- Thursday: Inductive reasoning activity over why people move. Examine Push/Pull Factors and reasons for migration.
- Friday: Finish, debrief, and explain yesterday's activity.