Welcome to 2nd Grade
We are excited that your child will be joining us this year. We look forward to working together with you to make 2nd grade a wonderful experience for your child.
Here are a few things that you can do to help your child get ready for 2nd grade...
- Have them spend time continuing to use their 1st grade online learning tools like iRead, Dreambox, and RAZ kids. These programs should be available to them throughout the summer and this will keep their skills sharp and ready to come back.
- Read daily! Even if it is just for 15-20 minutes, get them in a book!! IHave them read to you, listen to them read, listen to reading on a computer, read to their siblings or favorite stuffed animal, find a way to motivate them and keep them reading.
Here are a few things that you can do to help your child be successful this school year...
- Spend time each day reading with your child. While their ability to read independently will be our focus this year, they also need to hear good reading so be sure to keep reading to them!
- Talk about the books that you read. Ask them about their favorite part, things that happened in the story, what the story reminded them of or made them think about, etc.
- Check their backpack and folder regularly. Follow up on their behavior plan, any papers that need to be signed and returned, and make sure their homework gets completed daily.
- Support them with their homework, but allow them to do it as independently as possible.